Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Yogurt Vs. Royal Jelly

Use a chinese grafting tool, and graft larvae that have a nice puddle of jelly under them. I've never used yogurt, jelly, or anything to prime. My usual take is 40-45 accepted out of 45 grafted. Rarely do I see anything less than 40.

Mike-
    Do you use homemade wax cups, plastic cups or something else?

Plastic cups.
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Plastic

Plastic

Dry prime is the best, but yogurt does work. I have tried different flavors, but plain works best. My take rate is higher when no prime is used.

I am running a side by side test on the same cell bar in the same starter, we will see! I mixed them up on the cell bar for a fair test.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Another "take" on the issue - oviaroles. Gary Reuter (U. of MN.) was saying that in order for queens to make their maximum number of potential oviaroles they needed an uninterrupted supply of royal jelly.
    Perhaps people are in favor of the chinese grafting tool (which makes it easy to transfer the jelly with the larva) because the bees recognize that these larva are well provisioned and accept more of them.

Checked cells, about 90-95% take. This is on all the things tested. Will check and get more details this afternoon as to which royal jelly substitute worked the best.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

I tried Guava yogurt a few years back, also did the banana and peach yogurt, no luck at all. Went back to the plain and all went well. Good luck, I will be looking for the results.

Will have to run more tests, but cells from all methods were accepted.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Royal Jelly Will be far better

I know the the cell start will remove it and place the proper strength RJ it mainly is for keeping the larva moist but they will consume a small portion before the proper strength is added I know there has to be some ill effect when useing yogurt

You might not see it, at first but it will show up down the line they may well start your cells but what about after the queen has mated and lays

I will dry graft before I would use Yogert.
    And I Sure would not want to buy queens that was primeded with yogurt

In Queen Rearing Essentials, Lawrence John Connor recommends using royal jelly or yogurt mixed 1 to 1 with water to make it easier to slide the larva off the grafting tool. He says the nurse bees will eat the yogurt and replace it with royal jelly.

Like said above, larry connor says yogurt is ok, I had just as much success with dry grafts so I may stick with that, or the water drop in the dry months.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Does anyone know for a fact that the nurse bees will remove the primer royal jelly? Why would someone like Miksa go to the expense of filling up the cups with organic royal jelly if the bees would just remove it? I think I will try dyeing the R.J. to see if it is in fact removed.

I have checked them 30 or 40 minutes after grafting and they looked like they had sucked it all up don't think the larva ate all of it.

and if you were to fill the cells half full or fuller they might not remove all of it have not tried it

But the early studied of grafting and raising queens said they found that the make up of royal jelly feed to larva's that were to become queens was different make up as the larva got older.

They use to graft then place in a cell starter then after a 24-36 hour period they would carefully remove the larva and re graft a younger larva thinking they would be well fed and become a superior queen but that was not true. There body weight were lighter than a normal grafted larva.

If you want a well fed queen cell use the Nicot.
    Place the queen in it and keep trace of the time

Place queen in box to lay then in 3.5 days re check if she laid in it soon after placement and if it did take her 3 or 4 hours to start laying the larva is still under 12 hours old more like 8 hrs old

Or Place a small area of comb into your breeder hive and let the queen lay in it then after 10-12 hours after placing it into the breeder queen to lay in, remove it and place in a well stocked W/young nurse bee's, queen less and this is the only open frame of brood for them to tend to until graft day 3.25-3.5 (They will be very well fed and easy to pick up on your grafting tool) from day the frame was placed in your BREEDER QUEEN hive to laid in and the larva to be grafted is no more than 6-12 Hours old
    Last edited by Velbert; 02-28-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12