Thread: Staple Guns

Default Staple Guns

I have a nail gun which works good but when can one justify buying a staple gun? What does one use a staple gun for instead of a nail gun?
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Isaac View Post
    I have a nail gun which works good but when can one justify buying a staple gun? What does one use a staple gun for instead of a nail gun?
    When can one justify another tool . . . I am sorry, I don't understand the question.

Staples have more holding power than brads or nails as they loop around wood fibers. One reason I don't like using them in frames though is that when one misfires and follows some wood grain or hits another staple and moves laterally, they are harder to remove than a brad. And I am told the glue is more important than wither brads or staples in such an application.

They [staples] can be good for speed as a single staple is more than the equivalent of two brads.

I am still stuck on this how does one justify another tool thing? What is that?

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

I am putting together some bottom boards and top boards and plan to use a nail gun but a friend who builds them a lot suggest a staple gun.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

I bought my staple gun from harbor freight for 19.00. If that thing laid down today I would buy another it has put together over 160 deeps and 150 mediums plus frames for them all 100 top covers and 75 SBB Its still going and has never given me a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    I bought my staple gun from harbor freight for 19.00. If that thing laid down today I would buy another it has put together over 160 deeps and 150 mediums plus frames for them all 100 top covers and 75 SBB Its still going and has never given me a problem.
    Riverrat, could you give us some info on what type of staple gun that is and what size/type staples you're using for the various jobs?

We're looking into staple gun options here at the moment, but my husband came home from the hardware store and said we were up for $750 for the staple gun, plus the cost of an air compressor. That is to put together frames with a 40 mm leg, 5 mm crown staple. I'm figuring there's got to be other options.

I have a brad nailer, finish nailer, and staple gun and use all three when making hive components.

Specific uses for the stapler are frame construction, inner cover construction (3/8" plywood nailed to frames), top cover construction (3/8" plywood nailed to frames, metal on telescoping top), the wedge when inserting foundation, the screen on my SBBs, the metal on the rabbit that the frame's top bar rests on...I'm sure there are a few other things.

I get good use out of my staple gun.

Matt

I use staples all the time. A large stapler to shoot long staples when I make supers and a narrow crown stapler for assembling frames. I shoot the wedges in with a brad stapler.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Chef,
    I've been thinking the same thing, as I use brads. But lately, I've
    been working lots of old equipment put together with brads, and the
    supers are about worn out, while the comb is just trash, but I sure
    don't see any problem with the brads that hold the stuff together. I
    think brads are fine, the glue is probably more important.

Anyone have long term problems with brad nails not holding up?

Why not get a brad nailer that you can put staples into or a stapler that you can put brads into. I have a brad nailer that takes staples. I havent used it for the beehives yet but it works wonders for things around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Isaac View Post
    I have several pneumatic brad nailers, finish nailers and one narrow crown stapler. I reach for the stapler when I put together any and all boxes, frames, inner covers, top covers and bottom boards. I glue everything, though, with type III.

Mine is a Bostitch - I picked it up on sale for around $90 at one of the Big Boxes around here. I looked at the Harbor Freight one, but it looked too cheap. I do buy my staples in the 5000 packs from Harbor Freight - they work fine in my stapler, and are a lot less expensive than at the Big Boxes.

Oh don't forget to change sizes of staples when you go from boxes to frames --> I forgot one time and put a staple into the tip of my index finger.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by deejaycee View Post
    Riverrat, could you give us some info on what type of staple gun that is and what size/type staples you're using for the various jobs?

We're looking into staple gun options here at the moment, but my husband came home from the hardware store and said we were up for $750 for the staple gun, plus the cost of an air compressor. That is to put together frames with a 40 mm leg, 5 mm crown staple. I'm figuring there's got to be other options.
    No need for a huge stapler and compressor. I use my small compressor for my stapler, which is a 18 gauge, 1/4" Bostitch SX150K-1, which retails for around $100 and often is on sale for less. $750 for a staple gun? - I've seen floor staplers for far less! A Campbell Hausfeld compressor in the 2 gallon, 1hp range will set you back $100 at Amazon, and will include a brad nailer/stapler.

MM

That is exactly what I'm looking for Mapman. Thanks so much! With that model and brand name I've been able to do some searches and now have a much better idea of what I'm looking at.

Thank you!

I use a narrow crown Stanley Bostitch stapler for just about everything...covers, bottom boards and frames. Mine doesn't require lubricant and works wonderfully well.