Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Scott J. View Post
    Has anyone tried to put an entrance in-between the brood chambers?
    When I use a Cloake board for queen rearing that is essentially what you do. I personally leave the Cloake board on the hive from May till I make winter prep..and use the slide making the top part queenless when I need to raise queens. I found that the honey super directly above the excluder aquired alot of pollen because the bees enter ABOVE the excluder. I minimized this issue by sliding the top box w/ excluder back about 1/2 inch. This allows the bees loaded w/ pollen to access the top or bottom. Obviously most take it below as that is where the brood is located.

I've made 3 supers off of this colony in addition to being my starter and finisher colony. They are working on their 4th. The queen has space to lay in only 2 med boxes. Does having the entrance in the middle do better than top or bottom... I've seen no discernable difference.

I tried some with only top entrances but dislike having clouds of bees trying to find their entrances right where I'm trying to work. I personally feel it is more disruptive to the colony.

I have both. You can see the top entrances I use on my migratory covers in the link in my signature. Then I have a regular bottom entrance. I have yet to see a hive that prefers the top entrance during the warm season. Obviously in the winter when they are at the top they will use that one first. Otherwise I mostly just see bees fanning at the top entrance.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    In my circumstances, providing a bottom entrance would be like shaking a frame of bees, or more, per day into a bucket of soapy water - something I would like to avoid, and something I think my bees would avoid, "if they knew any better". Once the toads begin eating bees at their bottom entrances, the bees will continue to go to the entrance to investigate, and in turn be eaten, and so on . . . Being their keeper I hope to save them from their natural instincts and remove the tempting and dangerous bottom entrance. Now they are safe from toad predation.
    Maybe that is OK if they are on the ground. But if they are 2 feet above the ground and safe from toads and other pests, ? That is another story.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#topentrance

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm#faqs

I cut a short piece of screen molding and put one nail in the center to make it pivot for an entrance reducer.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12