Thread: Finding a Queen

Default Finding a Queen

I will be requeening a few hives in the next couple weeks. Does anyone have tips for locating the old queen? I have a hard time finding queens.

I either find her right away or it takes forever. Here's what I do:

- Pull a frame and just look at it without trying to focus on specific bees. Sometimes I can spot the queen right away if I'm looking at the frame as a whole.

- If I don't see her like that, I look for a cluster of bees that aren't scurrying around quite as fast as the others....especially if that cluster is nearer the middle of the frame.

- When I turn a frame, I watch the corners and edges. I've had queens run to the side I just got done examining while I was rotating the frame.

- I try not to use very much smoke since it sends the bees in all sorts of directions and makes it harder to spot the queen.

- Even if I know that I had a marked queen, I look for un-marked queens as well since there's no guarantee that my original, store bought queen hasn't been replaced.

- Sometimes, I place the examined frames in a different box very near the one I have open. That helps with the process.

Sometimes I never find her. Most of the time, I see her when I'm looking for something else like condition of brood, etc.

Hope this helps.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I start with the frames that have fresh eggs and work out from there. Most of the time she is near the eggs that she has just laid.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

To find a queen, I look for the eggs and examine the open brood. All of a sudden, there she is and I wasn't even looking for her.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir