Thread: Honey and wax

Default Honey and wax

At what temp does wax melt?

I have an idea on how to liquify honey in the comb if the melting temps are far enough apart. I saw this box that a friend of mine made. It was a box made of poly. It has a pallet as a floor, and a lightbulb at the top. The lightbulb heats the box. He uses it to liquify 5 gal buckets of crystalized honey. I have a super that is mostly crystalized, I was thinking of making one of these, and using it to reliquify the honey so I can extract it. If this works, I'll make one large enough to hold 5 or 6 supers and warm them before extacting. I was thinking that I could install a thermostat. Any opinions?

Thanks
    Last edited by IndianaHoney; 07-07-2008 at 01:21 AM.

Default melting point

it depends on impurities.

i have heard a range from 62 to 65 degrees celsius with most accounts converging at 64. (62=144, 65=149, and 64=147 - using F=C*9/5+32).

you could probably get a fourth significant figure if you push it - but i doubt you'll need it if your heatsource is a lightbulb.

other than that, i have no clue whether your idea is feasible or not. but look forward to finding out.

good luck.

I know that it liquifys 5 gallon buckets within 24 hours. As long as it doesn't get hot enough to melt the wax, it should work.

Hiya Indiana...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeswax...haracteristics
    Beeswax has a melting point range of 144F to 147F, and if heated above 185F, discoloration occurs.

http://dancingbeegardens.com/
    If kept for extended periods in temperatures between 85-95 degrees Fahrenheit or more, honey will tend to liquefy as the sugar crystals slowly melt.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I've got a small chest type freezer that I use as a melter. I put a lightbulb in it and stack a couple supers in it and it warms the honey before I extract it. It does seem to work very well. My problem in the past has been what size bulb to use? In cold outside weather I can use a 40 watt bulb. In warmer weather I've melted the wax combs! so a temperature control thermometer would be a nice idea. I think your idea for liquifying honey in the comb should work, keep us all posted.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Default ray

what you need is a 120 volt thermostat to control temperature. just like your houses but 120 volt. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin