Thread: Honey and wax

Default Honey and wax

At what temp does wax melt?

I have an idea on how to liquify honey in the comb if the melting temps are far enough apart. I saw this box that a friend of mine made. It was a box made of poly. It has a pallet as a floor, and a lightbulb at the top. The lightbulb heats the box. He uses it to liquify 5 gal buckets of crystalized honey. I have a super that is mostly crystalized, I was thinking of making one of these, and using it to reliquify the honey so I can extract it. If this works, I'll make one large enough to hold 5 or 6 supers and warm them before extacting. I was thinking that I could install a thermostat. Any opinions?

Thanks
    Last edited by IndianaHoney; 07-07-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Default melting point

it depends on impurities.

i have heard a range from 62 to 65 degrees celsius with most accounts converging at 64. (62=144, 65=149, and 64=147 - using F=C*9/5+32).

you could probably get a fourth significant figure if you push it - but i doubt you'll need it if your heatsource is a lightbulb.

other than that, i have no clue whether your idea is feasible or not. but look forward to finding out.

good luck.

I know that it liquifys 5 gallon buckets within 24 hours. As long as it doesn't get hot enough to melt the wax, it should work.

Hiya Indiana...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeswax...haracteristics
    Beeswax has a melting point range of 144F to 147F, and if heated above 185F, discoloration occurs.

http://dancingbeegardens.com/
    If kept for extended periods in temperatures between 85-95 degrees Fahrenheit or more, honey will tend to liquefy as the sugar crystals slowly melt.
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)

I've got a small chest type freezer that I use as a melter. I put a lightbulb in it and stack a couple supers in it and it warms the honey before I extract it. It does seem to work very well. My problem in the past has been what size bulb to use? In cold outside weather I can use a 40 watt bulb. In warmer weather I've melted the wax combs! so a temperature control thermometer would be a nice idea. I think your idea for liquifying honey in the comb should work, keep us all posted.
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)

Default ray

what you need is a 120 volt thermostat to control temperature. just like your houses but 120 volt. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin