Question I had a call for a swarm/no bees/wasp

If you go out to get a swarm and the people don't no wasp from bees do you charge for the trip?

I asked him questions like how big the swarm, are they on a branch, how long they have been there, He said they were bees and yes to all I got there it was a paper wasp next in a juniper shrub
    and what you u charge if anything?
    Thanks
    Wishing you all the best of tomorrows and good honey

I haven't charged yet, and don't plan on it. But I always ask:

Have they built a nest? (Mud or paper?)

Are they underground?

If they say yes to either one, I'm not going unless it's within biking distance

And anytime they say "So and so looked at them and says they're bees." I get REALLY suspicious. People who claim to have kept bees themselves in the past have sent me after yellowjackets!

I charge $1 a mile each way with a minimum charge of $20.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

Default free isnt always free

how much money did you have wrapped up in providing this free service. Only to find out you was getting a geniune made in america hive of "wasps" for free. Then how much did the caller have wrapped up in the free service you provided. Who came out ahead in the deal. That should answer the question

Were you able to remove the offending wasp nest? If so, charge him for the call - time and travel, and for educating him on what a honeybee actually looks like...

MM

I tell people over the phone that if it turns out that they are not honeybees, I still have to charge $75 for the trip and time. No one has balked yet.
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

That sounds fair with everything explained up front.

I usaually ask also if they've been stung and what color are they and what color are the wings and where is the hive EXACTLY.

If they've been stung I ask if it was one time or more? If once I ask if they left anything behind. If more than once I ask if it was the same bug that stung them more than once. It usually is.

What color are the wings, I almost always get yellow and black. I have to get them to think about it and they usually describe a wasp wing.

I've only do wasp/hornet killings in the neighborhood and refer them to an exterminator.

Some folks have taken a picture and sent it to me, the best way.

I don't do cutouts unless the hive is low AND the property owner is willing to remove structure for me. I do do removals that are available and low. Otherwise I refer folks listed on the State Beekeeper Association website. I am listed with the Extension Office, which is fine with me, since thew State Plant Board gave them my name.

I don't charge since I only do 'easy' removals and verify wasp/hornet nests within a short distance.

I charge a flat fuel charge of $25.00 to go anywhere no matter if I remove or not. Also charge for cut outs starting at $350.00 and going up.

Most people pay and seem to be fine with the fees. I do tell them up front.
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan

Big Grin

thanks for your thoughts on this I will know next time to charge if there are now bees.
    the things you learn from this site is Great.
    Wishing you all the best of tomorrows and good honey

>If you go out to get a swarm and the people don't no wasp from bees do you charge for the trip?

It's probably best to tell them you charge up front. Odds are if it's NOT waps or yellow jackets, they probably sprayed them anyway. Ask questions like where they are etc. as mentioned. Try to get descriptions. For instance if they are bright yellow and dark black and shiny, and not wasp shaped, they are yellow jackets. If they are all of that and wasp shaped they are paper wasps.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF