Default Worried about "Bearding"?

Here are some quick pics I snapped tonight, actually just before midnight, 1 July 2008. The air temperature has dropped to about 85F, but most hives are quite a bit more populous than would qualify as "completely occupied". For me, bearding lets me know that I have bees to spare, and even though my hives all sit on SBB's and have many upper entrances to exhaust heated internal air, the bees still cluster on the outside of most hives, to varying degrees.

FoamNuc1, FoamNuc2, FoamNuc3, Nuc4, Hive1, Hive2

Our main honeyflow is very nearly done. Scattered Summer rains have begun, but so far none have fallen near enough to be of any help in stimulating a late-Summer early-Fall flow, but there is still a chance for that to happen.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 07-02-2008 at 01:56 AM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Default foam nucs

I recognize your foam boxes. You say the bees don't chew 'em up too bad? Those bees I got from you in Spring actually like my pasture of clovers and alfalfa. Our evening temps drop significantly given the elevation, but the bees know porch sitting can be fun........good to hear from you.
    BBZZZZZ

I am in Virginia where we have a high humidity level (usually 60-90). I would give them more ventilation. You say they are not completely occupied. Those bees on the outside could be put to use inside with more ventilation.
    It works for me, it might not work for you.
    But I do not see where it would hurt.
    Curtis

Curtis,
    I think you are not completely understanding my post.

I apologize for being somewhat obtuse, but I said, more than completely occupied.

The bottoms of all my hives, and Nucs is a piece of #8 hardware cloth (SBB) Screened Bottom Boards. Some of the foam Nucs have segments of their side walls cut out and #8 hardware cloth screen installed. The Nucs have 1-1/2" diameter entrance holes cut near the top walls and their covers are slid back an inch or so from the front to provide extra entrance space and ventilation.

Each hive has an entrance rim between the second super and all honey supers above that mid entrance are slid back about 1/4" to provide additional ventilation and entrance space, and the cover is done likewise. Despite copious ventilation and some shade from trees or shade cloth, providing abundant water, our humidity is generally in the teens or lower, most hives have some bearding, but several have huge beards.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

Make more nucs Nice nitetime pics by the way.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. If you build it, they will fill it.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIMBEE View Post
    Make more nucs Nice nitetime pics by the way.
    Thanks for the suggestion, that's just what I was thinking too.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

I can't keep bees in a nuc for more than a month here, they seem to out grow them real fast. Some even out grow a two chamber brood and four chamber super hive.
    Consider splitting them or give them more space. I too have SBB and upper entrance on all mine, Still I have a lot of bearding on them too.
    Seems like the dog days of summer for sure!
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan