Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question top five misconceptions about honeybees

I need to do a talk and wanted to hit the top five misconceptions about the girls. What are they?

Default about the girls

Wax moth kill out my hive (not true) something else is wrong with the bees. Diseases, queen not laying wright parasite's, or they may have starved then the wax moth get going strong.

Unlike in the Bee Movie, workers are the girls and Barry and the Nasonex bee just hang around the hive until needed by a queen or winter comes along. Also, honey comes out the front end of a bee and pain comes out of the back end.

BB

First on the list.
    You can stop being a BEEK without a 12 step program.
    Curtis

1. Honeybees live in an oval shaped nest hanging from a branch, and it drips honey.
    2. Clover honey is fit for human consumption.
    3. Cell phones are killing the bees, where the speaker does not mean that a truck carrying cell phones rolled over, crushing a row of hives.
    4. Male bees make honey. Like most beekeepers, male bees live only to procreate and eat.
    5. Bees are mean. Take two creatures: A honeybee and a Neighborhood Association manager. One is a mindless creature driven only by instinct and a desire to inflict pain upon intruders while raising its fat white brood and the other is a honeybee. I can tell you which of the two consistently makes more rational decisions.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

What age group are you going to be talking to? Are they Professionals or kids? Kids are always scared of bees when they dont need to be of course so is my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by xC0000005 View Post
    5. Bees are mean. Take two creatures: A honeybee and a Neighborhood Association manager. One is a mindless creature driven only by instinct and a desire to inflict pain upon intruders while raising its fat white brood and the other is a honeybee. I can tell you which of the two consistently makes more rational decisions.
    I was working my hives this last weekend. I have 8 hives in a very small cluster. Bees were flying everywhere by the thousands. Lifted my rock off the top of a hive to inspect the hive. A wasp comes barreling out from between the rock and the hive top cover. I ran like a 4 year old school girl!

Lesson #1, Honey bees, wasps and hornets are NOT the same!!! I'd rather inspect a hive bare butt naked (with smoke) than mess with a wasp while I'm in a bee suit!!! And I'm not kidding either!!!

Picture that one!!!
    Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
    "There's nothing wrong with me, it's the rest of the world that has a problem"

Many people think we put the boxes out in the spring and bees come to fill them up with honey.

Worker bees are NOT male, they are female. Unlike in that stupid movie where the females were cheerleaders on the sidelines, mere groupies for the male foragers, the females ARE the action.

You are NOT allergic just because you swell up when stung. Most people who have been stung and have localized swelling think they are allergic.

Cell phones aren't causing CCD (at least I dont think so.)

Honeybees are different than wasps, or yellow jackets. They are different than bumblebees.
    Sheri

Foraging bees WANT to sting you.

I start every presentation on bees with an explanation that "we're talking about honey bees today, not about wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, mud daubers, bumble bees". Many people want to stray the topic to wasps, etc. and say 'they're all the same'. A brief explanation of some common differences and off we go to talk only about honey bees.

The queen is not the ruler of the hive, but in a corporate world, she would be the Human Resources Director. She's responsible for determining the number of bees needed for the hive... several weeks ahead of time.

Bees will attack you. I point out the hive in my back yard and visitors always ask "why aren't we attacked by them?" or "don't they come over here and 'bite' you?" I respond, they're too busy doing what bees actually do and have no time to bother people. Because bothering people is not what bees do.

Quote Originally Posted by sds888 View Post
    What age group are you going to be talking to? Are they Professionals or kids? Kids are always scared of bees when they dont need to be of course so is my wife.
    Adult garden club.

Default a few more things people believe and ask about

4. Where do they go in the winter? 5. Do you kill them every year to get the honey or do they just die anyway? (well, sometimes they do just die off, but that's not what I want them to do) 6. Is each box a hive? 7. Where do those disappearing bees go? I like this one, it goes along with the cell phone tower legend.

Tell them what a swarm is and how not to call pest control when this wonderful moment of natural events happens, also. Bring some honey samples, especially if you have light, dark and some more interesting varieties to show. Ask them to consider taking up the hobby. Few have taken me up on that venture, but I ask every crowd I speak in front of 'how many of you are ready to start a hive of your own?'

Use some anecdotes from your own experiences, that brings reality into what you do. The hardest question I've ever tried to explain logically is 'why do you do this?'

people think that all honeybees make the same kind of honey

Honey is a byproduct of pollination, not the other way around.

bees dont bite
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

My bees are in an orchard which also contains an ATT cell phone tower. I have 10 hives which are maybe 100 feet from the guy wires.

I am quite certain that cell phones do not cause them any harm.

Please don't even mention cell phones in your talk.
    Troy

The biggest misconception that I have to answer most often is: "I heard that all the honeybees are dying off. Are yours dying off too?"

Grrr...I miss the days when people would ask me how many times I get stung....

My bees are in an orchard which also contains an ATT cell phone tower. I have 10 hives which are maybe 100 feet from the guy wires.
    Troy, that is because the guy wires bleed off the nearby waves into the ground (that is why the guy wires are always warm on a sunny day) thereby protecting your hives, whereas it is the microwaves that get loose farther out into the air that wreak all the havoc. That is why I always wear my foil-lined baseball cap.

Default do not spray bees

Stress to the people that. Bees are not out to sting you for no reason. After all it is suicide for them to do so. Once this is pointed out. Let them know if you find a hive of bees do not Repeat DO NOT spray them with pesticide. 9 chance out of 10 it will not kill the hive and you will end up calling a beekeep to have them removed anyway.
    Last edited by riverrat; 07-01-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Isaac View Post
    Honey is a byproduct of pollination, not the other way around.

Actually, from a bee's perspective, isn't it the other way around? Bees dont care so much about pollination as they do the pollen and nectar. Otherwise they'd be more interested in pollinating things they dont get pollen or nectar out of.....
    Am I off-base on this?

Quote Originally Posted by sentientsoil View Post
    Actually, from a bee's perspective, isn't it the other way around? Bees dont care so much about pollination as they do the pollen and nectar. Otherwise they'd be more interested in pollinating things they dont get pollen or nectar out of.....
    Am I off-base on this?

Bees cannot live on one or the other. They have to have both pollen and nectar to survive. The collecting of this benefits the plant. The bees first job on earth is like every living thing. It is to survive and to survive the must gather food. What happens after that is secondary.

Right! I thought that went without saying... but then I've seen a number of posts (no, I'm not looking them up right now!) and I think even an article where it's said that "honey is a byproduct of pollination." But from a bee's perspective, wouldn't that be all backward. so then.... what's the motivation when people say that? I'm missing the logic.

1. Bees don't bite.
    2. Honey does not come out the rear end.
    3. Bees don't live in paper wasp nests.
    4. Bees don't want to sting.
    5. Only one out of 100 people are truly allergic.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam