Default Comb on top of Frames ?

Hi, I am new at this. Here is a picture of my hive that that is only 4 weeks old, I know I got a late start. I have a top feeder on top that I got from Mann Lake. When I check it today I see that they are building comb on top of the frames and inside of the bottom of the feeder as well as building comb on the frrames. Is this normal ? Also should I leave it alone or scrape it off ? Sorry maybe this is a dumb question, but you don't know if you don't ask. Thanks everyone. Here is a link to the photo. http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...fd7207a7b1fe91

I couldn't open the photo, but I have had the same comb building in both of my hives. I noticed that the cells they were building were much larger than those in the brood nest. My bees were looking for a place to build Drone comb. I would scrape the comb off and offer them an empty frame to build their own wax. Or if you have a sheet of drone comb, you can give that to them.

If you decide to go with the empty frame, rub a little beeswax along the underside of the top bar of the frame. It will help "guide" them. I'm still pretty new to beekeeping, only been doing it for about 3 years. But in my opinion, they are building that comb for a reason. Give them an open space to build it and you'll both be happy
    Let's BEE friends

The link you provided asks me to sign up for a shutterfly account, before I can view your images. I do not wish to open an account, so I guess I will not be able to view your images - though I would like to.
    - - - - - - - -
    Quite possibly you are asking about brace/burr comb. Most hives build some, some hives build lots, more is created with lots of feed or a strong honeyflow.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 06-29-2008 at 08:47 PM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Same here, maybe you could try another way to show pictures.

I couldn't see the photo either without signing up for an account, but I've got the same feeder I think. My bees built quite a bit of burr comb inside the divider and filled it with syrup/nectar. I just scraped it out and they built more, so guess this is pretty normal behavior with this kind of feeder.

I finally took it off and I'm giving them syrup in a boardman feeder. That solved the problem. We also have a pretty strong clover/vetch bloom right now, so they don't need to be fed by the gallons.

An interesting thing that might be just coincidence, but they started drawing out the foundation a lot faster after I removed the Mann Lake feeder.

BB

Default New photo link

Here we go I think it looks like most people are using photo bucket. http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=P6290006.jpg

Now that I can see your image, I see that you appear to have too much space immediately above your top bars. You also have your pollen supplement patties too far away from your brood nest (they should be immediately above the brood), about where your burr comb full of honey is. From what I see, your burr comb issue can be mitigated by doing several things; working empty combs or undrawn frames closer to the brood nest (moving them between the outermost occupied frames) on both sides; moving your pollen supplement patties where the burr comb is now (after scraping it off and letting the bees eat the honey out of it); reducing the space above the frames to between 1/4" and 3/8" (no more - no less).
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

round here you put that much pollen patty on a new hive an you gonna be chasein small hive bettles an such.

Wink burr comb question also?

I have the same problem I have three Styrofoam hives I know they have about 1/2 or more from the top of frames how do you reduce that space I am helping a 81 year old that is what he bought from Danent. I put a super on two yesterday the queen put some drone comb with honey. I got hundreds of bees on my inner cover also do I shake them off? I'm new only a year. our flow is slow in WI due to all the rain.
    Wishing you all the best of tomorrows and good honey