Default Prepping for Next Year

This year I started two hives from 2lb Carni packages, both on one drawn deep. Once they started getting that filled, I added a deep of undrawn Mann Lake PF-120s. We got some good warm weather and a flow, and they have been drawing it nicely for about a week. One hive has 5-6 drawn frames, the other 2-3.

So I've started thinking about my strategy for adding honey supers on these hives if the time comes when things start getting crowded. I could always throw a medium on, let them draw that out and see what happens. But I also wondered if it might be smarter to throw a third deep on and let them draw that and overwinter with three deeps.

My thought was this would be a good way to get two more deeps of drawn foundation, which I could then pull off and put two packages on next spring. I'm starting to buy into the "drawn foundation is one of the beekeepers biggest assets" school of thought, and this seemed to be a good way to get packages off on a good start next spring.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

You could do that. I just use all mediums so I don't have to make that call.

Drawn foundation is certainly a plus. I hived a package this spring to replace a deadout. I used the old hives comb. It's now my strongest hive and has been supered. A medium of drawn comb is fine for honey, by the way so go for what you think you'll use next year.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Try catching a few late season swarms in July and August and feed them and let them draw out comb for you. If they survive you have another hive, if they don't you have drawn comb for your springtime endeavors.

The University of Minnesota recommends wintering in three deeps, but I've always used two and had good results. Wintering in three certainly wouldn't be bad and getting the extra wax drawn is always a benefit. You can still harvest a frame or two of honey from a deep if they are able to get that far along.
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation

Wow, and I'm planning to switch from two deeps to a deep and a medium.

I believe it was Michael Bush that talks about wintering in the smallest space you can with your bees. The bigger it is (three hive bodies) the more area they have to heat and the more stores they will use. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha6 View Post
    I believe it was Michael Bush that talks about wintering in the smallest space you can with your bees. The bigger it is (three hive bodies) the more area they have to heat and the more stores they will use. Just a thought.

That is why a lot of people use mediums here in the NC mountains.

Given the year we're having, if you leave them with two deeps they'll probably swarm. Be ready with another box, size doesn't matter right now. You could start packages in a medium next year. Heck, if they have two deeps drawn out you could probably split them now yet, a queen is lots cheaper than a package.

How's the sweet clover looking down there?

I'm using eight frame mediums and give them whatever they seem to need. Anything from two to five boxes depending on the size of the cluster.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The sweet clover is looking GREAT down here this year. I changed locations from last year, this year I am sitting next to a lot of DNR land and am literally buried in the stuff. I had no idea when I picked the site.

I'm going to go ahead and add the third deep when I inspect this weekend, assuming comb drawing is still progressing well on my second. I'm up in the air if I overwinter with three deeps or not, I guess that will be a decision this fall.