Default What happens when to much room?

Couple questions:

1st- what happens if you add a second 10 frame deep with new plasti-cell foundation and the bees havent drawn out at least 8 frames in the first deep?

2nd is it to late in my area to make a split and add a new queen in the new split?

Default too much room

I can tell you what happened with mine.... they didn't draw the rest of the frames in the bottom. infact, they actually stripped the wax out off some of the undrawn sides of the foundation. I doubt they will draw it now, but I have brood on the other side, so I will wait untill next spring to replace it.

1) in addition to what big bore said in small hive beetle country you are inviting unwanted guest.

2) check with one or two of the california beeks (od frank or b4u/ernie) to get some clear answer to this question.

You also leave the open to SHB. They simply can't take care of all the room.

>1st- what happens if you add a second 10 frame deep with new plasti-cell foundation and the bees havent drawn out at least 8 frames in the first deep?

And in the early spring they have trouble maintaining the heat and humidity necessary to raise brood. This time if year, that is less of a problem and wax moths ants etc. are more of a problem. Luckily the bare foundation isn't that inviting to wax moths, but drawn comb is.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default My thoughts

Too late to make a split because you used that crap plastic stuff and the bees won't draw it out this late unless you are in some premo area with big late flows and feed feed feed. You could try but will probably have undrawn frames all winter, and maybe the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Throw out the plasticrap and start with wax next year.

Gee Frank....don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Ok, here goes...
    I'm in Sacramento, California, and am somewhat familiar with the Marysville area.

1st, don't add that second box this time of year unless the bottom box is fully drawn out. The days are getting shorter now, the spring buildup season is over and swarming is so slow it's coming to a halt, so the queen is slowing down her laying.

You may add the second box, but put it on the bottom. That gives them room to move down if needed and helps with giving field bees somewhere to hang out and transfer nectar to younger bees for storing, without having to enter in thru the brood nest.

2nd, your hive is only a single box without all the frames being drawn out yet, it's too small to be doing a split with it this time of year. Concentrate on keeping your single hive strong and healthy. Keep watch on nectar and pollen stores and feed supplement if it gets low, especially around the first of september thru to the first of november.

keep a watch out for varroa mite symptoms, now is a good time to do powdered sugar treatments every 4 days to a week, for 4 or 5 weeks.

Good luck and have lotsa fun with the bees!

“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Default thinking outside the box hoep you have a plan

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Couple questions:

1st- what happens if you add a second 10 frame deep with new plasti-cell foundation and the bees havent drawn out at least 8 frames in the first deep?

2nd is it to late in my area to make a split and add a new queen in the new split?
    This is an interesting and total different approach that goes against most proven beekeeping practices. Can I ask why you are going in this direction and what you believe you will gain and why you think it will work. Apperantly you have a plan of what you want to do. I am interested in why you think this will work. Dont get me wrong Im not being sarcastic I am just interested in the reason someone would think outside the box.