Thread: wax quality

Default wax quality

The three blocks of wax in this picture came from, left to right, my cappings wax, culled brood and honey frames from my hives and unused wax foundation purchased from a large, reputable supplier.

All three blocks were melted and filtered in the same fashion.
    Its also interesting, to me, how nice the foundation looks when its in thin sheets as compared to a block.

It makes, in my opinion, a good case for going foundationless or making your own foundation from your own wax. Not to mention the concerns for pesticide residue that are likely in commercial foundation.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Wow, that's very interesting! It does make you realize that not everything is as it apears on the outside. Thanks for sharing.

...i'm not a wax expert, but to be fair, wax does darken when heated to higher temperatures. i can imagine that the darkness of the foundation wax _could_ be due to higher heat during manufacture, and could have nothing to do with what is in the wax.

deknow

Default Wax

I started useing my own wax some time ago.I make my own wax starter strips or I put a piece of one half inch card board in the top bar slot and wax it in and wax the card board
    works very well.I had a hard time getting the startr strips of the board they were made on.Dee Lusby said put a couple of hands full of Propolis in the wax.I did amazing bends but dosen't brake or crack or chip.From what I have been told and read the wax is contaminated in the commercial foundation.I think this is one of the things that has contributed to my success
    kirk-o
    I like bugs

...i have filmed a "workshop" of sorts of dee (and students) making foundation by hand. i will try to have it available online soon, and a better quality dvd will be available for sale.

deknow

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    _could_ be due to higher heat during manufacture, and could have nothing to do with what is in the wax.
    Very possible. In either case its still, in my mind, an inferior grade of wax. The cappings wax not only looks good but smells wonderful. My culled wax isn't as pretty as the cappings but still doesn't smell bad. The foundation wax doesn't look good and doesn't smell good. Whether a product of overheating or particulate residues or some combination, I think it is still inferior. And, as stated before, there's also the invisible issue of pesticide contamination.
    Last edited by beemandan; 06-29-2008 at 08:54 AM.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards