Default Water on Landing Board

I was wondering if it made sense to shim the back of the hive to enable the water on the landing board to drain off after a rain storm. We have had some pretty severe thunderstorms lately and I notice that afterwards the water has gathered and the bees seems to have a hard time getting back in the hive.

I'm also wondering about queen excluders. I just put a honey super on and I don't have a queen excluder - what do people think about using them? Thanks for any help.

As far as the water on the landing board, I do keep my hives sloped very slightly towards the front to help keep water off the bottom board.

I just let the water dry up. I tried tilting once and had to go pretty far before the water ran off fast enough. You'll get lots of different answers on excluders. My experience is that, if you need to use them, put comb above them or even some brood. Seems that they cross it better than if you have only foundation above the excluder.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

The landing board is irrelevant. But if you have a solid bottom board, yes, you should tilt the hive slightly (between 1/8" to 1/2") toward the front.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF