Default Electric Fence Question regarding bears

I am into my second year of bee keeping in the Adirondacks of New york.
    I started with two hives on 9 acres hoping to do more this year.

This past May I lost both hives to bears. I gathered up the remaining bees, I was able to make one hive out of the two damaged hives. I'm not sure if I got a queen back into the one hive after rebuilding the two into one.
    Four days later I found that the bear(s) returned and busted up that lone hive.
    That being said I put up an electric fenced yard 25' x 25', four electric wires around the yard at 10",20",30" and 40" using a solar charger . The Hives are about 1/4 mile away from my house as wife and kids not fans of the girls.

Here is my question. This winter the bears will go to sleep and I can shut down the electric on the fence, the snow will short out the fencing.
    I worried that before the snow leaves the bears might come back for more honey and the fence will not be on because at least 2 of the 4 wires could be under snow. I was thinking about putting wire mess / netting on the hives and powering up the hives inside of the fence area. Hives are above the snow and would not short out. Has anyone ever done this?
    I might add that I have had snow on the ground in April

Why not run the upper fence wires on a separate 'circut' as the lower
    wires so you can turn on the top wires separately? Or will snow on the
    insulators short it out?

Default bears / fence

I was thinking about that!!! Using clips and just keep pulling wires off the system as the snow builds

I use this type arrangement for thick poly rope as a deer fence - I have five strands, all are separate, and connected from line to line with these:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/deta...=596&cat_id=42

At the end of the line, I use simple connectors:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/deta...=427&cat_id=42

The nice thing about them, it is a solid connection - you just connect an insulated wire to the screw in the connector - clips can fall off.

As the snow gets deeper, I just disconnect the line(s) at the bottom.

MM

i think for an electric fence to work the shockee has to be standing/touching the ground unless some of your fence wires are 'ground'.

Quote Originally Posted by randydrivesabus View Post
    i think for an electric fence to work the shockee has to be standing/touching the ground unless some of your fence wires are 'ground'.

Yes, indeed. Water and snow/ice are poor electrical conductors, so you can use pos/neg wires (have the positive and negative in one wire).

MM

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to look into those clips .
    I have no Bee's inside of the fence yet, was worried that the bears would come back so I have 4 new hives set up a couple of miles away. I did leave some frames and cut out dirty comb in a bucket inside of the fence just to bait the bears... So far no bears and fence is intact. Going to move new hives in next week... Hope the bears have moved on or they got a snoot full of the fence and decided that my honey was not worth it.

My buddy, also a Beek thought that I should put spiked plywood (4x8 sheet cut to 2' x 8') all around the outside of the fence so that the bears would also be stepping on sharp spikes too besides the electric fence.

Jerry

its important to bait your fence or the bear(s) will just bust through it. and I think they will just step over your spike setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroga Bee View Post
    My buddy, also a Beek thought that I should put spiked plywood (4x8 sheet cut to 2' x 8') all around the outside of the fence so that the bears would also be stepping on sharp spikes too besides the electric fence.

Jerry
    I'm sure that the DEC would get after you something feirce if they knew about this idea and your baiting the bears. NYS DEC is real protective of our bears.

I don't know where Caroga Lake is, but why don't you try being smarter than the bears and keep your bees where bears are less apt to be. You already have a place for them on Long Island. Then again, if you are well off enough to have a summer home in the Adirondacks I'd be glad to sell you more bees, every two weeks if needs be.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

We dont live on Long Island anymore, Just have not figured out how to remove L.I from profile and just have it plain say Caroga Lake.

No other place to move my hives to....We are in bear country!!

Default Bears & bees

Out here of course it's dry country. In order for fences to be effective they must have a ground mat ( usually poultry wire 18-24 inch ) around the perimeter so they are stepping on it. Maybe this would help you too. My experience is that once they have gotten a taste, its almost impossible to keep them out. As autumn comes they will be wanting to fatten up for winter, and the fun begins. I would find another site until next year.

I have bear problems here in NH.......esp. Mom and her three cubs. I did not want to bait the fence with bacon because of the friendly dogs so I baited a metal trash can with sunflower seeds, layed it on it's side and used a 2 foot screen, in front, as the ground. When mama got a taste of that....she has returned and looked at the hives but never closer than 100 feet. If my fence failes I'm doomed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Caroga Bee View Post
    We dont live on Long Island anymore, Just have not figured out how to remove L.I from profile and just have it plain say Caroga Lake.

No other place to move my hives to....We are in bear country!!
    Now I understand. Where does your beekeeper friend keep his? And how does he keep them from the bears?

If you ever get to Peru, NY go to Northern Orchards and ask for Jim Lamont. He is the orchard manager and beekeeper. If you ask him nicely, just joshing, he might have time to show you their bear fenced yards. They are the best I've seen and effective.

Richard Crawford, of Morrisonville, NY is President of the Champlain Valley Beekeepers Association. Look him up too. Especially if you live in the northern part of the park. He has bear fence experience too.

I still have lots of nucs to sell you if you want some.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Maybe it's just dumb luck on my part, but I have solar electric fences around all my bee yards but one (and that will have a fence this next week) and I let the solar fencer run year round. The snow builds up and doesn't impact the unit at all, as far as I can tell. The grass grows up and doesn't seem to impact the fencer either.

I test every fence in every bee yard everytime I am there. I hold a blade of grass with my right hand and lay it on the fence a few inches from my hand. This way I am not blasted by the fence and I know it's working.

In regards to baiting beehive yard fences for bears in NY, here's some feedback from another member of the forum here, MountainCamp, who has hives in Northern NY, and uses a baited fence.

Baiting a fence does not fall under the regulations for "Baiting" in reference to taking of bears or other game.

When baiting a fence your intention is NOT to attract the bear, it is in fact to deter the bear.

You would be VERY hard pressed to be able to find an ECO to write the ticket and then even harder get a conviction.

Here is the NYS Reg.
    187.1 Black bear feeding

(a) Definitions. For the purpose of this Section, the following terms have the indicated meanings:
    (1) Feeding means using, placing, giving, exposing, depositing, distributing or scattering any material with the intention of attracting or enticing a bear.
    (2) Indirect or incidental feeding means using, placing, giving, exposing, depositing, distributing or scattering any material for a purpose other than to attract or entice bears but which results in the attraction or enticement of a bear.
    (3) Person means any individual, co-partnership, organization, association, firm or corporation.
    (4) Bear means any black bear existing in a wild state.
    (5) Department means the Department of Environmental Conservation.

(b) Prohibitions. It is a violation for any person to:
    (1) feed bears within 500 feet of any occupied building (unless the building is owned or leased and occupied by that person), school, playground, paved public road, designated or established campsite, landfill, dump or municipal waste transfer site or dumpster;
    (2) feed bears within 100 feet of any other building, any unpaved public road or trail, or body of water;
    (3) feed bears or attempt to attract or entice a bear to take or lick anything from any part of his or her own body or another person's body;
    (4) feed a bear anything that is destructive or harmful or the carcass or any part of an animal with a contagious disease;
    (5) feed a bear anything containing metal, glass, plastic, paper, cardboard or porcelain;
    (6) feed bears during an open bear hunting season or during the nine days immediately prior to an open season within the area of the open season;
    (7) engage in any indirect or incidental feeding of bears if the activity occurs after written notice from the department to the person responsible for such indirect and incidental feeding. Notification will be given by the department based on an analysis of the likelihood of an injury to a human, bear or other animal or of the likelihood of property damage resulting from such indirect or incidental feeding;
    (8) nothing in this section is construed to prohibit the possession afield and use of up to 1.5 fluid ounces of a liquid scent or lure;
    (9) nothing in this Section is construed to restrict in any way the attraction, capture or taking of black bears by the department for management or research purposes.
    (c) Enforcement. The feeding of black bears, as prohibited by this section is a violation. Indirect or incidental feeding is also a violation if it occurs after notification as provided in paragraph 7 of subdivision (b) of this section.

Seems like if there isnt enough ground potential for the bear to get shocked , there might not be enough for your fence to short out.

Default Bears and Fencing

Thanks Guys.... Hoping that Mom and Her two cubs dont come back.
    To answer to question of where my Beek friend keeps his hives and my hives until I move them..He's on open Farm Land.....I'M in the woods of Caroga Lake NY