Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New suit for AHB

Hello again. I know it's been a while. Hive and swarm removals have been crazy busy the last couple of months. Today though I got into the most aggressive hive I've ever removed. Long story short, I got stung many times right through the suit (Suit from Dadant- has held up and served me well the past few years). I want to get a more sting-resistant suit. I was looking at the Brazilian Beek suits from GloryBee. Before I spend the $200+ does anyone have personal experience/opinion on these? I would greatly appreciate any input.

http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/Shop_ProductDetail.cfm?PC=3&PSC=21&P=15105&Product _Name=brazilian%20beesuit%20size%20%20large(50)&To ken=72.220.44.234:{ts_2008-06-25_23:28:31}-818823

Randy Davis

You might ck w/ Magnetman(made in USA). I've not worn one yet but have seen them. Awesome suit but you pay for quality too.
    Good luck
    What part of town do you live? I have a sister in PB.

Default might look at a golden bee suit.

dont know much about the brazilian. they do have a good test ground for proving them out using AHB if they do come from brazil. I myself just got a new golden bee suit. ($229.00 shipping included)They have the delivery down to about 2 weeks from the time you order. So far I am impressed with the golden.

You can't go wrong with the suit from magnet man. I have his jacket, not his suit, but the bees can't sting through it at all. And, unlike the other suit/jacket, there is no need for duct tape at the zippers to keep the bees out.
    Lawrence Underwood / Mobile, Alabama http://mollysueshoney.blogspot.com

magnet man

Thanks for the replies. I did look at the suit from magnetman. It appears that this suit has mesh as the outer layer throughout the entire suit. Is this correct? Having mesh all over for the type of work that I'm doing wouldn't be ideal (snags, etc.). Can any of you that have this suit confirm that the outer layer is in fact mesh?
    Thanks again.
    Randy Davis

PS I'm from the Carmel Valley area. Don't make it down to PB much ;-)

Also, a couple of years back when I first looked into getting a Golden bee suit, I seem to remember that there was some confusion on this issue here on the Forums. There were 2 different companies (in 2 different states, different phone #s, etc) that offered a "Golden" bee suit. Can anyone clarify this issue and supply the website/phone # for the "real" golden suit?
    Thanks,
    Randy Davis

the real Golden beesuit contact information

Quote Originally Posted by jrandydavis View Post
    Can anyone supply the website/phone # for the "real" golden suit?
    Thanks,
    Randy Davis
    They do not have a web site. The daughter of the orginal manufacture of golden suits has taken it over from her parents. They lost everything they had in hurricane Katrina. It has been awhile comming but they are up and running in louisiana again. They can be reached at 504-456-8805

I Have The Glory Bee Suit. I Have Mixed Fellings About It. I Am Not Happy With The Veil As It Is Not Possible To Safely Drive A Vehicle With It Off As It Is In The Way And Leaving It On Is Not Much Better. I Had To Have Zippers Installed In The Legs To Be Able To Get It Over My Boots. Also Had Elastic Tumb Loops Added To Both Sleeves. Though Vented, I Do Not Feel It Is Really Any Cooler Than My Sheriff Suit. Now, That Said, I Do Feel It Is More Sting Resistant Than My Other Suits. The Veil Arrangement Does Keep It Well Away From Your Face. The Material Is Slick Enough That The Bees Don't Seem To Be Able To Get A Good Grip To Be Able To Sting Through It. I Would Say They Are Cut Somewhat Small Also.

Magnet Mans suit does have an outer layer of mesh. I haven't had any problems with snags, and I have hives on mesquite. It's tough stuff, much better than I expected it to be. I recommend it. The triple layer of the material is the reason you want this instead of a single layer of cotton when working hot bees. They can't reach you through this stuff. Bill will add knee patches and such if you ask.

And the mesh allows it to a lot cooler than working other types of materials. I have had mine for two months and the only problem is keeping it off my son and on me.

I have just about stopped using smoke with this suit since there have been no stings since I got it. It works great for cutouts.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

The jacket I use from magnet man is top rate regarding snag resistance. I use it for cut outs as well. It has never snagged despite my craming into rough cut openings repeatedly. One of the yards I frequent is infested with all sorts of nasty briars and snagging flora. It has not been an issue at all. I know I'm subjecting the jacket to situations that he probably didn't envision, but it holds up very well. The net Bill uses is tough. Really tough.

I too have a magnet-man suit and I love wearing shorts on hot days in it.

It didnt quite fit right so he is working it over. He said hes re-working the patterns for a better fit.

JoeMcc.
    "Slow Down and Taste the Vanilla" - My Grandma

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBeeMan View Post
    And the mesh allows it to a lot cooler than working other types of materials. I have had mine for two months and the only problem is keeping it off my son and on me.

I have just about stopped using smoke with this suit since there have been no stings since I got it. It works great for cutouts.
    Ditto on all accounts. I haven't used my smoker for a few years now either.

The suit from MM comes with needles and elastic, you have to finish the manufacturing yourself. I'm not a seamstress so it isn't finished yet. I absolutely love my Golden bee suitS but have to admit that the veil on the MM suit is much better for visibility.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Is there an email, address or phone for magnetman? Thanks!
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
    PM him right here on the forum he is lurking somewhere in the background

You don't need to be a seamstress. Just pull the elastic as tight as you want and push the threaded needle back and forth through the end until it doesn't pull loose. It takes about 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
    Magnet's site

http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    You don't need to be a seamstress. Just pull the elastic as tight as you want and push the threaded needle back and forth through the end until it doesn't pull loose. It takes about 10 minutes.
    I guess I'm blessed. My jacket came completely done.

Im not sure if the new patterns will include the new closures which are velcro. Check out the site. I like the looks of the new wrist closure.

Mag is always improving the suit.

JoeMcc