Thread: Capping Melter

Hybrid View

Default Capping Melter

Good day all. I know from reading old posts that some of you have the Kelley Capping Melter (small). I believe, from reading about it that this is a piece of equipment I could use in my shop, however, I am having a little trouble grasping the actual process. I understand the concept, heating, separating, etc. I just can't quite visualize it.

Is there any chance someone may have photo's or can get photo's of this thing in action? I would greatly appreciate any help with this. I will be ordering mine in a week or so but would still like a little advice/suggestions.

Thanks. David
    Maine-ly Bees, David Wallace and Family, Bowdoinham, ME mainelybees@gmail.com

Question

You mean like the ones in my photos on Myspace?
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Default Mini melter

B Bill,
    Interesting melter. Did you make or design it yourself? I have been looking around for something along those lines. Can you share any info on it? If so PM me I'd like to ask 2 or 3 questions.

Thanks
    'NorthALABeeKeep'
    Butch Adams
    you must endeavor to persevere

Thanks Bill, my dail-up is struggling with the site but I'm still trying.
    David
    Maine-ly Bees, David Wallace and Family, Bowdoinham, ME mainelybees@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by NorthALABeeKeep View Post
    B Bill,
    Interesting melter. Did you make or design it yourself? I have been looking around for something along those lines. Can you share any info on it? If so PM me I'd like to ask 2 or 3 questions.

Thanks
    'NorthALABeeKeep'
    Butch Adams
    No, I bought it new, it's a Dadant mini melter. I can tell you that you need to do a lot of uncapping to make cleanup worth the effort and you need five gallons of honey to get it started.

Dan Williams bought one last Feburary too.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post
    Dan Williamson bought one last Feburary too.
    Yeah but I haven't used mine yet. I'm waiting to have enough cappings to make it worth the effort! LOL

Have you extracted yet BB? How much uncapping do you think you would need to do to make the process "worth the effort"?
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Oh, so you didn't look at my pictures of the event, eh? I extracted around thirty to forty supers of honey all in Permacomb frames last March. I guess I still need to figure out exactly how to set the levels and heat on the melter as I never got the wax to flow.

I am having a good flow this spring and will be extracting later this month, probably about 200 supers of spring honey as soon as they cap it. It has been so rainy and humid most of the honey is not capped yet even though there are five and six supers stacked on some of the hives. July should fix that, I really need to get that pulled and ready for the beans and alfalfa this summer and the fall flow if there is one.