Picked up some old equipment yesterday. There were two items that I was unfamiliar with.

First, there were two very large boxes made of thick walls. The interior looked standard size but the thick (at least an inch or more) walls made them larger. The covers were like sleeves that fit all the way around them, including down the sides. The tin roof was nailed on top. Any ideas? Are these old fashioned hives....transport hives?

The second item was a bunch of what looked like divider boards. They're very thin and fit perfectly on the frame rests. However, each divider board has a slot along the top. Bees can easily move between the boards due to the slot. Am I missing something or aren't typical divider boards made so that bees are confined to a certain area.

Any ideas would be appreciated.