Hybrid View

Default Question on old equipment

Picked up some old equipment yesterday. There were two items that I was unfamiliar with.

First, there were two very large boxes made of thick walls. The interior looked standard size but the thick (at least an inch or more) walls made them larger. The covers were like sleeves that fit all the way around them, including down the sides. The tin roof was nailed on top. Any ideas? Are these old fashioned hives....transport hives?

The second item was a bunch of what looked like divider boards. They're very thin and fit perfectly on the frame rests. However, each divider board has a slot along the top. Bees can easily move between the boards due to the slot. Am I missing something or aren't typical divider boards made so that bees are confined to a certain area.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Default Possible hive ID

I acquired a couple of hives that sound similar to yours when I bought some used equipment several years ago. Our state apiarist called them Montana Hives. They take a standard size frame. The hive walls are hollow so as to make use of dead air space for insulation. A wooden sleeve fits over the outside and fits flush with the top of the box. The outer cover as you'd expect goes on top covering the sleeved box.

My boxes need painting before they can be used and I have been loath to paint them as I am uncertain if they have any value as antiques. Right now they are taking up space in the garage.

Maybe someone can tell us about Montana Hives - when they were developed and if the insulation idea was at all effective.

I passed one of these on to another beekeeper on Beesource but as of yet he hasn't had a chance to put bees in it.

Not sure about the hives. Are they double walled with chaff between the inside wall and outside wall?

I believe the boards are "follower boards." These used to be included with hive bodies that were purchased from AI Root Co. They were used to reduce the size of the cavity. So, rather than 10 frames, you could reduce the space the bees are in. No need for nuc boxes.

Thanks,

Yes, there were double walled. Don't know what was between them but something was. I just tossed them. The follower boards are interesting because of the slot along the top. I saved those since they are much easier to store. Thanks everyone....
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"