Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sourwood Bloom?

Default Sourwood Bloom?

Anyone here in Western NC, know if the sourwood flow has started yet?
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Sourwoods have been in flower about two weeks here in central NC.

Elevation plays a big role as to when they flower in the mountains. I would guess that yours are not in flower yet.

Cool

Sourwoods in bloom now in my neck of da woods!

Sourwood is starting to bloom really well from Amelia Co. VA all the way to the monutains around Martinsville, VA. at the NC state line.
    Big T

Bees are just starting to work the sourwood here. Just at the beginning stages of opening up. Next couple weeks should tell. Got all 12 hives ready and waiting!

Not yet here in lower elevations of the Smokies (2800ft). Sourwoods have flowers but they are about 7-10 days from opening I guess.

Just starting to bloom here in extreme western NC. From what i've seen it looks like it's going to be another great year for sourwood honey.

Oooh! All this chat about blooming sourwood trees in the Carolinas, makes my mouth water. I would like to BUY some [2008] sourwood honey. I have heard a lot about it and would like to try it. PM. me if you will have some for sale later this summer.
    Last edited by Oldbee; 06-25-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Dittos, I too would like to buy some and try it, PM me and let me know.
    Thanks, T.G.
    When I grow up, I want to be like John K.......

Shouldn't be a problem at all fellas. I'll PM you my e-mail address and you can check back in with me around the end of July.

Looks like we've got about 2 more good weeks of sourwood here. How's everybody else looking?

hey, hate to be a wet blanket, but one thing that realy bothers me is the loose of use of "sourwood" is aplied to almost all honey sold around here. i made a batch of mead with sourwood honey out of my own hive. very mild. i
    "Any fool can learn, the trick is to understand - Einstein"

Sourwood was in full bloom in Iotla Valley (Franklin, NC) last week.

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    hey, hate to be a wet blanket, but one thing that realy bothers me is the loose of use of "sourwood" is aplied to almost all honey sold around here. i made a batch of mead with sourwood honey out of my own hive. very mild. i
    I can agree with that... I've seen some honey that was definitely not sourwood labeled as such...... Most beeks I know(myself included) take off all honey supers and start with new at the beginning of the sourwood flow... now I know it probably isn't 100% sourwood honey. I'm not sure any honey is 100% anything. But I can guarantee that it's as close to 100% as anybodys.......

Default Re:

in lower parts of north GA its blooming, moved my hives Sunday to our place in the Mountains check one of my trees and the flower was forming I figure by end of the week it will be blooming. Hope for a good crop didn't have on last year but year before was real nice.

Default Re:

Here in Reidville SC ( Upstate) its blooming and the bumbles and honeybees are working it. It takes a while for the blooms to open up to the size where bees can work it. I dont think that at these lower elevations we get the same amount of nectar. We do have quite a few sourwood trees in the river valleys on the slopes.
    Good luck with the mountain flow!

Default Re:

I was in eastern NC on Sunday. At 3000+ft....the one's I saw weren't even starting.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default Re:

I was up off 276 south of Asheville, up to 3500' or so on Sunday (7/7/13) and the sourwood hadn't opened, but it looked like there were more blossoms than last year. No idea if they'll all open or if the flow will be heavy. I drove back to the piedmont to pick up some hives and electric fencing and took them back up.

Default Re:

I am visiting here in NC and went to Brushy Mountain Bee Farm today. You folks here in NC sure have some pretty country!!! I don't have any sourwood trees in my neck of the woods, the wife ordered me one for Fathers Day, still waiting on it. Those trees sure are beautiful!!! I did taste some sourwood honey from Georgia that one of the sales ladies had at BM, it was very tasty!!!!!!!!!

Default Re:

I wish I had a hundred acres of sour wood trees. I just found in my sister's back yard.