Exclamation Bees not capping brood???

Hi everyone, I am a new beekeeper and have a few questions. I have had 2 hives for about 7 weeks now. When I opened my best hive I noticed about 8 developed (fuzzy hair and all) bees in their cells and I thought they were just hatching but when I looked closer they were not moving, I waited for about two minutes and they were not budging. Are they dead? I also saw some larva that looked like they were a few days away from hatching (they had heads with purple eyes!) but the cells were not capped. I thought that bees are supposed to cap their brood around the ninth day. I also noticed a few almost developed larva that had fallen and were on the screened bottom board? Whats the deal! Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

I noticed that your temperatures during the day are quite warm; in the mid to upper 90's and will be like that for a while. How long has it been so warm like that? Have the bees been bearding on the outside of the hive a lot? Do you have some upper ventilation holes or the cover propped open a bit? Is there a water supply nearby? That's all I can think of. Not sure about the cells not being capped.

I watch some bird cams and two young birds died in the nest in Greenville, Texas a week ago when it was in the 90's.

The bees are likely uncapping brood to clean it out. Hygenic bees will do that when they think something is wrong with that brood. It's a good trait.

As Ross says, It's a good trait. It may also mean you have mite problems. Take a pin and pull out some of those mature bees. Are the wings normal? Is there a mite on the bee?Pull out some drone brood and check for mites. Open brood at the purple eye stage (when it should be capped) is known as "bald brood." It happens because the bees sense something wrong.

Dickm

Thanks for all of the input, I will check them out this weekend. In Texas it is usually always hot but this summer it has been scortching (in the 90's by 10:00 a.m.) and occasionally we will hit 100 by noon. It has been hot for the last 3 weeks.There is a pond about 40 feet behind them and the hive has a screened BB, The bees do not cool off outside but I do see quite a few on the SBB, It looks like they are cooling off but I dont know. Thanks again!

txgunnut writes:
    I have had 2 hives for about 7 weeks now.

tecumseh: perhaps a description of size and age of hives would be beneficial????

ross mentioned hygenic behavior but also starvation would fit your discription.

I saw the photos of your hives in the Photo gallery; neat but I hope those pipes are strong! Do they look the same now? Are the entrance reducers still on? I saw something similar a few years ago during a hot spell; only a few days in the mid 90's, lol. There were quite a few larvae/pupae being dragged out or on the landing board. I don't remember seeing fully developed bees still in the cells with their heads up that were dead. If the hives are nearby, watch the activity and see if they are dragging out larvae or pupae without opening it first. Of course, I don't live in Texas. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
    Last edited by Oldbee; 06-25-2008 at 06:16 AM.

I am taking the entrence reducers off tommorrow! And I think I will start feeding them again b/c the heat has killed of many of the flowers. The pipes are strong enough and are doing great! Thanks for all the input, I greatly appreciate it.

Did they get cooked from leaving the reducers on?

Want to watch this thread so piping in.

Joe
    "Slow Down and Taste the Vanilla" - My Grandma

No, the bees are doing great, I have a SBB and have taken the entrance reducers off a long time ago. I will see about two larva at the entrance about every week to two weeks. And I have added another deep super. Thanks