Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Heat stroke

17K views 46 replies 40 participants last post by  Margali 
#1 ·
Today I went out to a yard to knock down some large hives, do some splits, and prepare to move the yard in a couple weeks to a new location. I can not say it was particularly hot out, but near 90. I took three bottles of water with me. I started about 10 and finished about 3 pm. Got back home not feeling well. Went to lay down. I was laying in an upstairs bedroom that had the door closed and it was a little warm. But as I lay-ed there, I had chills, and I was not sweating at all. (For those who know me, I'm a big guy and sweat could be my middle name)

So there I was, chilled with a blanket over me in about 100 degree temp. No sweat. Just feeling like I was coming down with something. Body hurt, headache, and not sure about upchucking.

Then it dawned on me. I had drank only one of the bottles all day long. I was not particularly thirsty, which for me never happens. I would normally down a bottle every hour if not more. I took my temp...100.5 at 4pm. Drank, drank, and drank some more. Sat in a room with air conditioning. Did not sweat for several hours. At 6 pm, my temp was 102, and rising. Took a cold shower. By 7:30 pm, temp was back to 100.5 and now at 9 pm, my temp is 98.6 again.

I was so focused on getting the job done, I did not stop to take a drink. Funny looking back, I was not really thirsty. My shirt and jacket no doubt was dripping, but I never thought to stop and take a drink.

So now I'm exhausted and going to bed, I'm back to sweating bullets, and know tomorrow, whether I feel like it or not, I'll take the time to drink. It scared me to see my temp still rising 3 hours after I started consuming liquids. It's not something to easily correct.

Hope this helps someone.

See less See more
#30 ·
Heatstroke

I cannot believe that all you beekeepers have not suggested some honey in the water you drink - we have had all the advertisements for every company under the sun!!!
You should be all ashamed of yourselves for leaving your own product out of making water taste nice.
Be sweet!
Oly.

#31 ·
The Camelback is a great idea. I had not thought of that. I work in wildland firefighting and our safety and medical officers recommend using a 4:1 ratio mix of water to gatorade type stuff. Drinking water is great but you also have to add in the electrolytes.

#35 ·
When I was in the service we had to mark the uniforms of anyone who had ever had a heat injury like that. The next time it will happen quicker and with less effort. For some reason the body never quite gets over heat damage.
Carry lots to drink and a gallon or so to dump on yourself if you stop sweating again. The key is to get that temperature down again before shock sets in.

#36 ·
I did not know that heat stroke had long lasting impact. I know it impacted me, becuase it scared the crap out of me. (Not to worry...I've been told I have lots! ;) ) I will definately think about always having extra water or juice on hand. The stories have been interesting. Thank you.

#40 ·
One thing that helps big time is bring you some 1/2 pickle juice and 1/2 tomato juice mixed up in a old water bottle, after 2 or 3 waters drink that, is will replace the salts and give you energy. Of coarse you have to like pickle/tomato juice. It might sound weird but it works good.

My biggest problem is when im doing a bee removal and cannot drink through my ultra breeze bee suit. Im covered with honey and have about 500 bees at all times trying to get in. Im thinking about a small camelback pack to go on under my bee suit so i can drink some cool water without getting ate up myself

#41 ·
X3million on the camelback. Also you can buy cooling vests that have ice pack inserts. Haven't had to use either beekeeping but I used to work at an oil refinery in Texas. A nomex (fire retardant) suit is super hot and can't be ventilated. Cooling vests were mandatory in summer and they would buy you a camelback.

#42 ·
I also work in the oilfield, luckily our FR clothes are not the NOMEX, but jeans and shirt that are FR rated, and yes all that gets hot. As far as pads, did get a chilly pad wich is a sponge type membrane that REALLY works well

#47 ·
:) Dow had blue nomex overalls. The few times we had contractors show up in the FR jeans and shirts they got REALLY tired of us wandering over to ask if they were FR. :rolleyes:

#43 ·
Emergen-C which you can get at Wal-Mart, cooconut milk & pedialite can help. I mix a packet of Emergen-C in my bottle of water before I go out & again every 3 hours or so. When I was first advised of this I couldn't believe the difference it made. Don't have to drink as much water & only feel whipped instead of half dead. I do wish I owned the company.

#44 ·
I'm glad I read this. I got superheated a couple times this summer because I would get wrapped up in working on stuff and got very thirsty. I didn't get heat stroke but I got very dehydrated. I should get a camelbak backpack or at least be bit more careful in the future. It's easy for me to get to working bees and lose track of time. I'm glad that you are okay BjornBee. Your post is a good one in relation to beekeeping safety.

#45 ·
I wish I had read these comments before last Friday as I had tried to get a few eggs on a frame to put in a queenless hive. Problem was it was around 103 degrees here in Las Vegas and I mistakenly thought I could do it faster and lalso left my wrist skin exposed. After picking up two or three frames that the comb fell out of the bees got pretty upset and then the smoker burlap was out so I had no smoke until someone brought me more . In the meantime I was getting stung on the wrists about fifty or a hundred times but I think due to age 78 I found it really didn't hurt or bother me much so I wasn't too concerned. Coundn"t find eggs and decided I couldn't keep damaging the combs so much so took one with brood and some open cells but due to glasses dropping off couldn't seeif eggs or not but didn't think so Got so hot sweating a great deal and felt a little dizzy but wanted to first close up both hives before stopping. Felt a little dizzy and thought I better get on hands and knees before passed out. about ten feet to door and by time got to door felt so hot I thought I had to get my suit off and get some fresh air.Fortunate people helping me but then I went into some kind of shock, frothing at the mouth and shaking. Someone called the 911 and though the hospital is only about four blocks away I guess I was as red as a tomato or purple and about died . They gave me shots to stop swelling. I felt very good the next day but they wouldn't let me come home until 10 Am today and then I didn't get out of the hospital until 3PM. Now the doctor says I need to get rid of the bees as I am alergic to them I don't know if he is right but I will try to learn much more about it. He claims all doctors will tell me the same thing. He did figure I had more than two hundred stings but I think maybe more and believe it was a reaction to too many bee stings rather than being alergic to bees but I now would like to hear from others. The moral to this story may to don't take a chance on loosing your life just to finish some task and protect your self from stings even if it doesn't hurt much. Now I wonder if I'll ever find this page again as I got here in trying to learn how to post a new subject.

#46 ·
Now I wonder if I'll ever find this page again as I got here in trying to learn how to post a new subject.
If you click on your name at the top of this page (where it says "welcome samoadc") it will take you to your profile page, on the left there is a link to a list of all the posts you have made - if you can't remember where you ade a post

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.