Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Heat stroke

17K views 46 replies 40 participants last post by  Margali 
#1 ·
Today I went out to a yard to knock down some large hives, do some splits, and prepare to move the yard in a couple weeks to a new location. I can not say it was particularly hot out, but near 90. I took three bottles of water with me. I started about 10 and finished about 3 pm. Got back home not feeling well. Went to lay down. I was laying in an upstairs bedroom that had the door closed and it was a little warm. But as I lay-ed there, I had chills, and I was not sweating at all. (For those who know me, I'm a big guy and sweat could be my middle name)

So there I was, chilled with a blanket over me in about 100 degree temp. No sweat. Just feeling like I was coming down with something. Body hurt, headache, and not sure about upchucking.

Then it dawned on me. I had drank only one of the bottles all day long. I was not particularly thirsty, which for me never happens. I would normally down a bottle every hour if not more. I took my temp...100.5 at 4pm. Drank, drank, and drank some more. Sat in a room with air conditioning. Did not sweat for several hours. At 6 pm, my temp was 102, and rising. Took a cold shower. By 7:30 pm, temp was back to 100.5 and now at 9 pm, my temp is 98.6 again.

I was so focused on getting the job done, I did not stop to take a drink. Funny looking back, I was not really thirsty. My shirt and jacket no doubt was dripping, but I never thought to stop and take a drink.

So now I'm exhausted and going to bed, I'm back to sweating bullets, and know tomorrow, whether I feel like it or not, I'll take the time to drink. It scared me to see my temp still rising 3 hours after I started consuming liquids. It's not something to easily correct.

Hope this helps someone.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep, been there done that. I got myself in a pickle once, was 111F out that day, and I didn't have enough water and had no honey in the truck. I was unloading a load of brush and ran out of water. I got so weak I could barely stand. Started eating tic-tacs that were in the truck for energy. I just knew I was going to die a stupid death. I started begging for someone to help me, and finally got one of the dump workers to do it for me for $100. While he was working at it, I quit sweating, got dry heaves, and vision was darkening. He got it done and took me to the water supply they had there for the workers. I drank a quart and filled my thermos, and was able to drive home. By the time I got home, all was well. I learned a scary lesson that day, and always have water with me and honey in the truck at all times for energy when needed.

I really hate having to learn lessons the hard way, but am so thankful I made it home alive that day!

#5 ·
Yes, please do take care. I've lost friends to HS because they didn't hydrate and take breaks. I usually get heat exhaustion (I'm a big guy to and above 50 degrees I start melting) and after a while I'm okay.

Oh yeah, Zane is right. Your body has literally been through hell and you need time for organs and your other innards to recover. Take it easy tomorrow.

#6 ·
A good reminder, BjornBee.

In addition to replacing sugars in your system, you also need to replace vital salts that your body has lost through perspiration. Adding some table salt (sodium) to your drinking water or Kool-Aid will help go a long way to keeping you hydrated and keeping your electrolytes in balance.

Also, a warning to Gatorade drinkers: Consuming a large bottle of Gatorade in one chug can swing your electrolyte levels dangerously the other direction, especially when you're over worked and thirsty. This huge influx of electrolytes can cause cramping, headaches and nausea. The solution is to sip or casually drink throughout the day and, of course, not let your body get dehydrated in the first place.

Good reminders, everyone.

DS

#8 ·
Been there, done that, and it's pretty scary. Way back in the early 90's but remember it vividly, during my bee inspecting days. Heat index (combination of temperature & humidity) was 114, working a yard alongside a row of pine trees, so absolutely NO breeze whatsoever. Same symptoms when I got done with the yard, had stopped sweating, headache, & on the verge of woofing. Laid down in the shade for awhile with LOTS of cool water going down the inside and applied on the outside, until I felt good enough to get up & call it a day.

#9 · (Edited)
Water won't do it. It helps, but won't replentish what you dish. You have to replace the sodium and the potassium. Those are the 2 main electrolytes in the body. If its gonna bee a hot day. Start the day with some orange juice or apple. Those are the biggest in potassium. Then take some power aid with you. The potassium and sodium and B vit's in it will help alot.

O- And remember. If you don't stay hydrated. And take a trip to the E.R. You will get two I.V's of Saline. "Salt Water" "Sodium"

#10 ·
Thats a big problem in this business, we are working throughout the hottest days in summer, in suits, or a hot honeyhouse. Easy for someone to say take during a heat wave, to take the week off, but a week off , even a day, is one to make up later,

My wife sends poweraid by the gallon, works wonders, drink lots all the time. Seems to work well for us,

Often wonder if there is a better suit than those darn heavey cotton ones we wear here.

#12 ·
heat stroke

as for our guys in afganistan, been there done that.......Desert Storm vet.... the biggest problem is that I can't stand to drink enough water, gotta have taste in it. I try to have a quart of gaterade every hour. but you likely won't feel like doing too much today, and that is to be expected....like they said"your body has just been through he## and it will let you know it...:) I know you can't afford to take the day off, but once you have had a heat stroke they say you are more likely to have another.... so bee careful, your body can only take so much

#13 ·
Club soda, Ice, and Concord grape juice. And lots of it.

Thats been my hydration beverage of choice this summer.
My wife turned me on to it.
I sometimes get dehydrated often as I don't really get thirsty.
I don't know why, but I usually don't get thirsty till I'm completely
dehydrated. I used to force myself to drink lots of water when
working hard in the summer. I like water fine and thats all I usually
drink normally, well except tea in the morning and beer at evening.
But since I've started on Club soda, Ice, and Concord grape juice,
I'm highly encouraged to stay well hydrated.
No added HFCS, its cold, refreshing, has vitamins, some salts of some
sort, and its fizzy.

#14 ·
well most of the time it seems that the temperatue here is always 100+. my beverages of choice are cool water and gatoraid. also drink before, during and after a workout and if possible schedule work in the early morning and late evening hours.

#15 ·
i'm a skinny guy, and i have trouble with heat and sun.

although i do enjoy the taste of salt, i grew up in a house where we salted nothing (heart disease in the family...and kosher meat is already salted). it wasn't until later in life that i developed a taste for the stuff.

when i was in highschool, i rode a bicycle across the country. in the middle i felt awful, and ended up in an emergency room (rode there under my own power). i was simply dehydrated, took the recomended salt tablets, and was much better.

more recently, when we were in arizona working with dee in april, i had the same problem. dee suggested that i carry a little bag of table salt. throughout the day, i'd eat a little here and there, and it again, solved the problem.

deknow

#17 · (Edited)
Very similar thing happened to me once. I was working the home yard and suddenly couldn't focus very well. I felt like I was moving in slow motion and felt as if I was starting to pass out. I stumbled back to the house (100yds) leaving a couple of hives wide open. It hit me that fast. I was at the point where I felt that if I didn't go that second I wouldn't make it.

I got inside and my wife could tell something was wrong. I had a hard time concentrating. I had a hard time even communicating to her how I was feeling. All I wanted to do was lay down. Then came severe headaches etc. I know I was in the house for a few hours before I felt well enough to go close up the hives. Came back in and laid down for most of the rest of the day.

From that point on, I got a camelbak backpack that holds 107oz of beverage that I can wear under my bee jacket. It has a tube that I run up into my veil and I can take a drink whenever I feel like it without having to stop working. I typically fill the whole thing up with ice and then add gatorade or water. It stays cold for a long time. Its made all the difference. On a really hot day I drink the whole thing. I still keep an extra water bottle in the truck. Even if it's hot its still liquid and I've drank hot water before just to rehydrate after getting back in the truck. I've not been dehydrated since. I still get hot but haven't felt sick.

#18 ·
Do Not Take Salt Tablets

Do NOT take salt tablets unless prescribed by your doctor. ESPECIALLY at "our age"... :rolleyes:

Drink 16-32 ounces of cool fluids per hour while working in high heat. Sports drinks or juices. Do not drink alcohol. Avoid caffeine.

You did the right thing by taking a cool shower to reduce your core temp. Without sweat evaporating on your skin to remove heat, your body cannot effectively get rid of heat and your core temp will rise.

Oh, and one thing about clothing... In the winter, the worst fabric you can wear is cotton, since it will hold persperation against your body and make you colder no matter how much you wear. In the summer, cotton is your BEST choice for the same reasons.

Glad you're OK. Got myself into trouble riding a motorcycle in the desert once. Could have really been in trouble if I hadn't found shade and water to spray on my skin...

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/extremeheat/faq.asp

#19 ·
...although advice from a physican can't hurt, i find it hard to believe that there is much danger in eating a few salt tablets in a day for anyone that is not avoiding sodium for a specific reason.

the tabs are (i think) 600mg each, and the usda recommends 2400/day. i never eat that much salt in my normal diet. there is no question that in a sweaty situation you need more than this.

of course if you are on a low sodium diet for a specific reason, this must be taken into account.

deknow

#20 ·
This same thing happened to me at the end of a road race. i was running, and felt really sick. My sister, who was running with me just kept encouraging me. I should have stopped running. i wasn't sweating, and started to get the chills. It was definitely 90+ degrees out. I later did some research and found out that when you are overheated and get to the chills you're in bad shape.

Thanks for sharing your story, and it's really good advice for people to make sure they stay hydrated.

#24 ·
one does not have to put all advice into action...and although doctors are far from always right (or even close), many people's lives are improved and saved by consulting with physicians every day. it's up to the individual to decide what advice from what doctors are worth following.

deknow

#25 ·
For long periods in the beeyard you could wear a camelback under your beesuit.

Also a spray bottle filled with water is great way to cool your face, head and neck on really hot days.

And it really helps to put a little something in your water, even if it is just a squeeze of lemon. There is also a gatorade type product called recharge, that is all natural, basically fruit juice and sea salt.

#39 ·
Gotta jump on this bandwagon. Fill with ice, water and a lemon cut into quarters. And remember to make a conscious effort to drink at at least a certain rate. Counting on your thirst to tell you when to drink will get you in deep trouble.

I only work one hive, but I have to work in the elements for my job, often with protective equipment. For the exposure windows you guys are talking about that involve several hours in 100+ degree weather, under full body suits, one camelback probably isn't gonna do it, so have a refill ready. Don't poison yourself by drinking too much water, though (it happens). A good guidepost mentioned earlier is that urine should be frequent, and "Clear and Copious".

Finally, remember to rest in the shade often. Drinking fluids is only one method of regulating your core temperture. With the gear you are wearing, it might not be enough.

It comes right back to respecting nature and what it can do to us.

#26 ·
I learned about heat stoke years ago when supervising and
managing a team shaking bees in Georgia.

The amusing thing here is that some of the symptoms of
impending heat stroke overlap the symptoms of Anaphylaxis,
so one has to play a little game show with one self, and
all the questions are very high-value questions.
But yeah, water is good and minimal protective gear is
another. A few stings are less problem than heat stoke,
which is why I've never owned a bee suit.

Salt tablets can be deadly in this environment as pointed
out by at least one other poster. Doctors can be a big
help, as they went to medical school and we didn't.

Note that those being dismissive of medicine are also
generally dismissive of science in general, so it is no
surprise that they would ignore educated medical advice. :)

#28 ·
I never drink enough water, never have, still don't. For some odd reason I also don't like ice in my drinks preferring fridge temps or warmer. Really cold drinks make my throat constrict and I get the feeling of suffocation.

That said, when I was in my late forties I was working in the garden during a typical 100+ summer day, heat never bothered me before but on that day I suffered a heat stroke. Now I can't endure the heat like I used to, I have to be more careful and force myself to drink liquids. It's also the reason I bought a Camelback to freeze and wear before I go out on a really hot day, and the number one reason to have a Golden Bee suit.

Heat stroke is a life changing event.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.