Thread: Heat stroke

Hybrid View

Arrow Heat stroke

Today I went out to a yard to knock down some large hives, do some splits, and prepare to move the yard in a couple weeks to a new location. I can not say it was particularly hot out, but near 90. I took three bottles of water with me. I started about 10 and finished about 3 pm. Got back home not feeling well. Went to lay down. I was laying in an upstairs bedroom that had the door closed and it was a little warm. But as I lay-ed there, I had chills, and I was not sweating at all. (For those who know me, I'm a big guy and sweat could be my middle name)

So there I was, chilled with a blanket over me in about 100 degree temp. No sweat. Just feeling like I was coming down with something. Body hurt, headache, and not sure about upchucking.

Then it dawned on me. I had drank only one of the bottles all day long. I was not particularly thirsty, which for me never happens. I would normally down a bottle every hour if not more. I took my temp...100.5 at 4pm. Drank, drank, and drank some more. Sat in a room with air conditioning. Did not sweat for several hours. At 6 pm, my temp was 102, and rising. Took a cold shower. By 7:30 pm, temp was back to 100.5 and now at 9 pm, my temp is 98.6 again.

I was so focused on getting the job done, I did not stop to take a drink. Funny looking back, I was not really thirsty. My shirt and jacket no doubt was dripping, but I never thought to stop and take a drink.

So now I'm exhausted and going to bed, I'm back to sweating bullets, and know tomorrow, whether I feel like it or not, I'll take the time to drink. It scared me to see my temp still rising 3 hours after I started consuming liquids. It's not something to easily correct.

Hope this helps someone.

Yes sir my friend Hydrate or Die........ Hope you feel much better!!!!!!
    T.G.
    When I grow up, I want to be like John K.......

Yep, been there done that. I got myself in a pickle once, was 111F out that day, and I didn't have enough water and had no honey in the truck. I was unloading a load of brush and ran out of water. I got so weak I could barely stand. Started eating tic-tacs that were in the truck for energy. I just knew I was going to die a stupid death. I started begging for someone to help me, and finally got one of the dump workers to do it for me for $100. While he was working at it, I quit sweating, got dry heaves, and vision was darkening. He got it done and took me to the water supply they had there for the workers. I drank a quart and filled my thermos, and was able to drive home. By the time I got home, all was well. I learned a scary lesson that day, and always have water with me and honey in the truck at all times for energy when needed.

I really hate having to learn lessons the hard way, but am so thankful I made it home alive that day!
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Bjorn, you might try to take it easy tomorrow too!!! that heatstroke takes a tole on you!!! Keep drinking to get caught up until you pee clear!!!
    Glad your still w/ us!

Yes, please do take care. I've lost friends to HS because they didn't hydrate and take breaks. I usually get heat exhaustion (I'm a big guy to and above 50 degrees I start melting) and after a while I'm okay.

Oh yeah, Zane is right. Your body has literally been through hell and you need time for organs and your other innards to recover. Take it easy tomorrow.

A good reminder, BjornBee.

In addition to replacing sugars in your system, you also need to replace vital salts that your body has lost through perspiration. Adding some table salt (sodium) to your drinking water or Kool-Aid will help go a long way to keeping you hydrated and keeping your electrolytes in balance.

Also, a warning to Gatorade drinkers: Consuming a large bottle of Gatorade in one chug can swing your electrolyte levels dangerously the other direction, especially when you're over worked and thirsty. This huge influx of electrolytes can cause cramping, headaches and nausea. The solution is to sip or casually drink throughout the day and, of course, not let your body get dehydrated in the first place.

Good reminders, everyone.

DS

Make sure you ALSO take some SALT pills. When you sweat you loose LOTS of salt.

Been there, done that, and it's pretty scary. Way back in the early 90's but remember it vividly, during my bee inspecting days. Heat index (combination of temperature & humidity) was 114, working a yard alongside a row of pine trees, so absolutely NO breeze whatsoever. Same symptoms when I got done with the yard, had stopped sweating, headache, & on the verge of woofing. Laid down in the shade for awhile with LOTS of cool water going down the inside and applied on the outside, until I felt good enough to get up & call it a day.
    Gregg Stewart

Water won't do it. It helps, but won't replentish what you dish. You have to replace the sodium and the potassium. Those are the 2 main electrolytes in the body. If its gonna bee a hot day. Start the day with some orange juice or apple. Those are the biggest in potassium. Then take some power aid with you. The potassium and sodium and B vit's in it will help alot.

O- And remember. If you don't stay hydrated. And take a trip to the E.R. You will get two I.V's of Saline. "Salt Water" "Sodium"
    Last edited by Hambone; 06-23-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Thats a big problem in this business, we are working throughout the hottest days in summer, in suits, or a hot honeyhouse. Easy for someone to say take during a heat wave, to take the week off, but a week off , even a day, is one to make up later,

My wife sends poweraid by the gallon, works wonders, drink lots all the time. Seems to work well for us,

Often wonder if there is a better suit than those darn heavey cotton ones we wear here.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Now think for one moment about our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. They do this day in and day out... I think that I read that they consume up to 5 gal/day.

Rule of thumb, drink enough fluid so that you must pee once every 1-2 hrs.

Fuzzy

When you get your minerals out of whack, try drinking Pedialite (or a generic version). It is for young kids who are at risk of being dehydrated from being sick. Not the best tasting stuff, but it gets your electrolytes back in balance.

When I was in the service we had to mark the uniforms of anyone who had ever had a heat injury like that. The next time it will happen quicker and with less effort. For some reason the body never quite gets over heat damage.
    Carry lots to drink and a gallon or so to dump on yourself if you stop sweating again. The key is to get that temperature down again before shock sets in.

This same thing happened to me at the end of a road race. i was running, and felt really sick. My sister, who was running with me just kept encouraging me. I should have stopped running. i wasn't sweating, and started to get the chills. It was definitely 90+ degrees out. I later did some research and found out that when you are overheated and get to the chills you're in bad shape.

Thanks for sharing your story, and it's really good advice for people to make sure they stay hydrated.
    Let's BEE friends

Default Re: Heat stroke

Emergen-C which you can get at Wal-Mart, cooconut milk & pedialite can help. I mix a packet of Emergen-C in my bottle of water before I go out & again every 3 hours or so. When I was first advised of this I couldn't believe the difference it made. Don't have to drink as much water & only feel whipped instead of half dead. I do wish I owned the company.

I'm glad I read this. I got superheated a couple times this summer because I would get wrapped up in working on stuff and got very thirsty. I didn't get heat stroke but I got very dehydrated. I should get a camelbak backpack or at least be bit more careful in the future. It's easy for me to get to working bees and lose track of time. I'm glad that you are okay BjornBee. Your post is a good one in relation to beekeeping safety.

I wish I had read these comments before last Friday as I had tried to get a few eggs on a frame to put in a queenless hive. Problem was it was around 103 degrees here in Las Vegas and I mistakenly thought I could do it faster and lalso left my wrist skin exposed. After picking up two or three frames that the comb fell out of the bees got pretty upset and then the smoker burlap was out so I had no smoke until someone brought me more . In the meantime I was getting stung on the wrists about fifty or a hundred times but I think due to age 78 I found it really didn't hurt or bother me much so I wasn't too concerned. Coundn"t find eggs and decided I couldn't keep damaging the combs so much so took one with brood and some open cells but due to glasses dropping off couldn't seeif eggs or not but didn't think so Got so hot sweating a great deal and felt a little dizzy but wanted to first close up both hives before stopping. Felt a little dizzy and thought I better get on hands and knees before passed out. about ten feet to door and by time got to door felt so hot I thought I had to get my suit off and get some fresh air.Fortunate people helping me but then I went into some kind of shock, frothing at the mouth and shaking. Someone called the 911 and though the hospital is only about four blocks away I guess I was as red as a tomato or purple and about died . They gave me shots to stop swelling. I felt very good the next day but they wouldn't let me come home until 10 Am today and then I didn't get out of the hospital until 3PM. Now the doctor says I need to get rid of the bees as I am alergic to them I don't know if he is right but I will try to learn much more about it. He claims all doctors will tell me the same thing. He did figure I had more than two hundred stings but I think maybe more and believe it was a reaction to too many bee stings rather than being alergic to bees but I now would like to hear from others. The moral to this story may to don't take a chance on loosing your life just to finish some task and protect your self from stings even if it doesn't hurt much. Now I wonder if I'll ever find this page again as I got here in trying to learn how to post a new subject.

Quote Originally Posted by samoadc View Post
    Now I wonder if I'll ever find this page again as I got here in trying to learn how to post a new subject.
    If you click on your name at the top of this page (where it says "welcome samoadc") it will take you to your profile page, on the left there is a link to a list of all the posts you have made - if you can't remember where you ade a post
    Cheryl
    "Luck favors the prepared!"