Default Crush & Strain Processor

My wife asked me if she could use the coarse meat grinder attachment on her Kitchen-Aid when doing crush and strain. I told it sounded Ok to me, so she tried it. Worked great! Just processed the comb straight into the strainer and the honey drained in no time. Anyone else ever tried this? Can anyone think of any down-sides to using this?
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

How was the cleanup?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    How was the cleanup?
    i bet it was very sweet
    all that is gold does not glitter

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    How was the cleanup?
    Just dipped the broken down attachment into a pot of hot water and then ran it through the dishwasher. It seemed easier to clean up to me than when it gets used for its intended purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Weitzel View Post
    My wife asked me if she could use the coarse meat grinder attachment on her Kitchen-Aid when doing crush and strain. I told it sounded Ok to me, so she tried it. Worked great! Just processed the comb straight into the strainer and the honey drained in no time. Anyone else ever tried this? Can anyone think of any down-sides to using this?
    What a great idea! I hope you gave her a big hug

Quote Originally Posted by bigeddie View Post
    What a great idea! I hope you gave her a big hug
    I don't think she can take full credit for the idea, she said she heard about it from a friend of a friend's friend or something like that. The only problem we came across is we had to make a custom "pusher" for the honeycomb, one with grooves to allow for a hydraulic relief since honey won't compress when you are pushing the comb into the feed hopper. The resulting wax particles that end up in the strainer are reduced to about the size of a grain of rice. That makes for a little quicker rendering in the solar melter as well. So far, the only down side is that the honey needs a second filtering through a pretty fine mesh to get it to the desired clarity, but I can live with that.