Thread: Dead Larvae

Default Dead Larvae

In the last couple of days I have found 2 or 3 dead white larvae in front of the hive. These bees are white but fully formed looking. Not hard or chalky.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Default Same Problem

I have been seeing the same thing on one of my hives. I see maybe 2 or 3 dead larvae on the landing board. They seem to be in varying stages of development. From 10 days old or so to almost fully formed. They look well formed and clean, not chaulky or anything. I saw one bee struggling to fly one further away. There is no foul odor in the hive and there is capped brood. I requeened this hive about a month ago after split.

Any suggestions as to what is goin on?

I have heard that a hive can over heat to the point that the brood can die and the bees will remove dead larvae. I don't know if this is what's happening in your case.
    Bee just and just bee

Sometimes when pulling boxes apart, drone brood is compermised,
    thats my guess

Unless they are worker larvae and are deformed, then Id say you have a v mite infection,
    best do a mite check
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I think what I was seeing was chilled brood as what I saw occurred the day after a cold snap and the temp went into the upper 40's.

Check the activity in front of the hive/landing board BEFORE you inspect/open the hive; 10-15 minutes if you can. I often see white brood/larvae/pupae/adult bees being removed AFTER I have inspected the hive. It is most likely from broken burr/drone comb.

I can't believe it is chilled brood [normal hive] at this time of year. Chilled brood around here would have to be frames that are out in the open for 10-15-20 minutes while inspecting when the temperatures are in the low 40's to 50's. Chilled brood may also happen when the cluster contracts when the outside temps are,...........getting close to 10-20 or zero. A "cold snap" around here would have to be near 50-60 degrees at this time of year and the bees would be fine in the hive. In the fall/winter a cold snap is 10-20 F. degrees and below zero; that's a cold snap.