Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dearth - Central Ohio?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  John Gesner 
#1 ·
Looks like the bees are in a dearth right now. Cool temps seemed to have stopped the nectar flow and the bees are cranky. Did an inspect yesterday and the bees weren't in the mood.

Observations in your Ohio apiary?

#3 ·
They were doing great but it seems that they have hit the breaks! Last years hives are doing good but the packages that I started are not doing as well. I cant keep a queen going. 15 packages and they are not laying at all. Time for new queens!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
Here in central OH - we're hoping for a little slow down - it's been insane so far- swarms and nectar flowing great. Warmer weather coming again in a few days should help continue the comb honey buildup. We're catching our breath as that warm weather we had about did us in:) Bees swarming everywhere!

#6 ·
Here in central OH - we're hoping for a little slow down
You're joking, right? Sure, I stopped taking swarm calls after about 10. But I did my splits early and got foundation on. No swarming issues in my hives, but that's just good beekeeping.

Now I've got half capped supers and customers clammering for honey. I'd like them to finish these out before the REAL dearth in July/August.

#8 ·
I pinched a couple of frames last weekend for my Dad, did a crush and strain, and put the wax (wet with honey) out on the back deck for the local ferels, not alot of activity, maybe 5 bees at the most at any given time. Now last year, during the dearth, when I did this, it was a madhouse. There were enough bees to make a new hive cleaning up the wax. It appears that here (Dempsey/Sunbury area) that a dearth is starting. At the hives last weekend (142 & 70 area, Franklin/Madison county line) where I keep my hives, it was "mediocre" at best. I think with the intermitent rain we had, and the 70'ish temps that we are in a slow period, with plenty to come when it gets hot again. Just my guess though. Hope this isn't the start of a big dearth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.