Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is considered the best-tasting honey?

I purchased clover, sourwood, and orange blossom honey yesterday just to try different ones. They all had their distinct tastes. To me, the clover tasted kinda "generic"...good, but plain. The orange blossom had an extra sweet, almost "spicy" kick to it, but I almost felt like it tasted somewhat chemical-like. The sourwood was my favorite and tasted mildly bold with almost a hint of "smoke" to it.

So, what are y'all's favorites?
    The true measure of a man's happiness is if he smiles at himself in the mirror when he's all alone..."

Before I ever even thought about keeping bees, my favorite honey was North Carolina Wildflower.

Now days I consider myself a honey connoisseur. Wildflower is no longer my "favorite" per se. It's my daily ritual and is no big deal. It's what goes into my hot tea most mornings, unless of course I have a hankering for my absolute UNO favorite, TUPELO. Second would be Sourwood - my sourwood from my bees, Third....Mesquite from New Mexico. Honey is like fine wine, The wierd part of all is that only beekeepers understand this. Most people think I'm nuts if I try to have this conversation with them. But, usually they ask and they get my "straight-forward" answer,
    ~What do you know there's so much to be done
    Count all the bees in the hive, Chase all the clouds from the sky~

I think the best tasting honey is your own honey
    Dulcius ex asperis

I like Knotweed and Aster....

Swobee's Honey Farm honey- just ask me!

Our mother travels some each year and brings honey from every state she goes to. Last summer it was Fireweed from Alaska- incredible tasting! Earlier last year it was some prickly pear jam blended with mesquite from Tuscon, Az.- again, incredible but since it was a blend it doesn't really count. I can't wait for her next trip to see what she brings back. But honestly, our wildflower/clover/weed/misc. crop flower honey is hard to beat!

Default My Fav.

I would agree with Cyndi, Tupelo then Sourwood

Quote Originally Posted by George Fergusson View Post
    Last year I would totally agree with ya George...until I extracted this fall honey. I still can't get used to it. I actually told someone today to wait until the spring honey was done, because the verdict was still out on MY fall honey. Today was a very sad day, when I couldn't say my honey was the best,

Quote Originally Posted by Bee_Sweet View Post
    I would agree with Cyndi, Tupelo then Sourwood
    Great minds think alike

Well, maybe Mom will travel south this year and we can try some tupelo.

Quote Originally Posted by George Fergusson View Post

I agree with George especialy the first bite of burr comb honey from your first hive = nothing like it
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I'm gonna keep my eyes open for some N.C. wildflower and tupelo honey.
    The true measure of a man's happiness is if he smiles at himself in the mirror when he's all alone..."

Leatherwood

...but you got to go to Tasmania to get it. My courier (dad and mom) picked some up for me when they were there.

Who has, or where can I get some Tupelo honey?
    Beewhisper

I got mine from a company in Florida. Can't remember the name of it, but there are several on the net. Just google Tupelo honey.

I get mine (Tupelo) from Weeks' Pure Raw Honey, they are out of Omega, Georgia. They supply the Farmer's Markets and Whole Foods Markets in the Atlanta area. This is not the same Weeks out of Ballground/Jasper area Georgia. This is South Georgia - totally different people.

You can also get it from the Savannah Bee Company. You get this beautiful bottle and the honey for around $18. I bought it just to get the bottle,

I love my own honey and like how it tastes different as the summer goes on and the nectars change, but I tasted some fabulous honey : Gallberry - given to me by an Alabama beekeeper at Young Harris Beekeeping Institute this year. Now that I have eaten it, I feel so privileged that he shared it with me (if you are reading this forum, thanks so much, Mark)

I wanted to lick the very bottom of the inside of the bottle as I used the last of it!

Linda T in Atlanta
    "You never can tell with bees...." Winnie the Pooh
    http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com

Hi,
    After reading all these posts my wife & I had to order some honeys. We ordered from Dutch Gold on the internet. Very good experience with the company they made a mistake on the order & let us keep the extra for free. Alfalfa, Tupelo, Buckwheat, Eucalyptus & Blueberry.

My favorite is buckwheat & tupelo, my wifes is blueberry & tupelo. This was a fun test, thanks for the idea.

Dan

Default Goldenrod

I love fresh orange blossom. I love fresh clover. I haven't had Tupelo in years. I never tried Sourwood or that white honey from Hawaii. But all-in-all, my favorite is fresh Goldenrod (from Central New York State)... so thick a spoon stands up in it and smooth with no afterbite.

p.s. that's what "Really Raw Honey" brand honey is based on... only problem is that the fresh stuff crystalizes in about... 2 minutes... well maybee a bit longer.

p.s.s. Goldenrod tastes like Tupelo as I recall it (kinda like everything tastes like chicken).

-ekrouse

I have some very dark very flavorful honey from here. No idea what it's from. That's about my favorite, but I've only seen it once. Luckily I have a good supply of it.

I'm partial to sourwood, tupelo, black locust, tulip poplar, thyme, eucalyptus and orange blossom.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF