Hybrid View

Default soldering a copper tube into jar feeder

on Randy Oliver's web site he has a picture of a jar feeder with a copper pipe soldered into the tiop. He then drills a hole into the top cover and the tube fits down into the body. Any others who use this method, ideas on pipe size and length, pro's and con's??

Thx.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

I believe it's a 1/8" flared fitting for use in copper compression fittings. I found them in the plunbing spare parts at Lowes and HD for about .80 each.

I think they're using a tube insert for a compression fitting.

Why wouldn't silicone sealant work to hold the tube in place? Soldering dissimilar metals is a challange and the heat would cause premature corrosion of the tin jar lid IMO.

I tried it this year, but it didn't work for me. The jars seemed to work fine indoors, but when I used them outside the sun warmed up the jar and all the syrup leaked out drowning my mating nukes!!! What a mess!! Unless I missed something, but I copied Randy Oliver's method that I found in the ABJ. Does anybody has any ideas on what I might have done wrong???

Without seeing it with my own eyes, I'd assume the tube was too large a diameter or somehow air was getting into the jar allowing the syrup to drain. Only a guess, though.