Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Wire in the Bottom Board

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Gene Weitzel 
#1 ·
I know this has been discussed a dozen times, But. The wire size is this important. Is 1/4 x 1/4 in. to big for the bottom board.

I have a roll of 1/8 x 1/8 in. as well. The SHB's seem to be able to walk around on the 1/8 x 1/8 , and not fall down to the ground, due to their size.

Looking for a push in the right direction.

#6 ·
If you decide to try the smaller mesh I'd be interested in hearing how it works out. If you don't go too small I think that varroa might still fall through. Window screen might be too small. On the other hand I believe that restricting the movement of SHB would be good. The real question, in my mind, is at what size opening will the bees begin to patch it up with propolis? They seem to do it a bit around the edges at 1/8in but don't go far inward.
Anyway....just a thought.

#8 ·
While I wouldn't argue with your statement, I've seen bees attempting to sequester shb along the bottom of the brood box. When the bees get to be too bothersome to the shb they'll just slip through the screened bottom and return somwhere there doesn't seem to be as much bee pressure. Their ability to slip in and out to evade pursuing bees via the screen seems, in my mind, to be a potentially serious problem with the screened bottoms.

#11 ·
I just bought a new digital camera that takes pretty good video. The last time I looked at this hive, I did not see a single SHB (the hive is quite strong, it was a cutout I did last August and it took 17 deep frames to accommodate all their brood and they have not slowed down any this year), so I don't know if I can capture what I saw before, but I will try to be prepared for it. It really was astonishing to me as in 100% of my other hives, they just sequester them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.