Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Send a PM to Barry, direct him to this thread in case he hasn't seen it, although he probably has. He will get back to you when he has a chance.
    Sheri

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Jim View Post
    wouldn't that bee 2/100s
    Yes, it would bee, Jim. It also would be two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha6 View Post
    Hoping that mods or someone will be able to address this issue of starting a new forum, but so far nothing heard here or from email sent to the BeeSource contact link.

Anyone have any idea of how to get this added? :confused:
    I don't have anything against a new Forum, but since anyone is welcome to comment on all Forums, perhaps some sort of indication about whether someone is a Commercial beekeeper or Hobbyist or Sideliner/Part Timer would address your needs. Maybe if ones user name was followed by what one considers themselves, such as sqkcrk/Commercial.

Just a thought. One worth 5 cents, me thinks.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I think a commercial forum would be nice.
    Columbia City, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    perhaps some sort of indication about whether someone is a Commercial beekeeper or Hobbyist or Sideliner/Part Timer would address your needs. Maybe if ones user name was followed by what one considers themselves, such as sqkcrk/Commercial.
    I think a commercial forum would deal with subjects from a commercial point of view, not just have posts from commercial beeks. After all, there are EX-commercial beeks that might be sideliners now, or some hobbyist might have seen something done when he visited a commercial outfit. I see this forum as more subject driven than individual driven.
    One problem might be the fine line between commercial and noncommercial practices, which often overlap, but the focus on this forum could be on income production and cost/time efficiencies, other subjects more of concern to those making their primary income from bees.
    What would not be appropriate is a lot of negative feedback/debate from those with the time to micromanage their colonies. What is quite feasible when you have 50 colonies is impossible when you have 2000. Commercial outfits are well aware of the impact some shortcuts might have on the bees, but time is the resource they run out of first. The time constraints of large operations is one aspect least understood by hobbyists.
    This forum might have more than moderate moderation needs.
    Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    ... What is quite feasible when you have 50 colonies is impossible when you have 2000. ....
    Speaking from my own experience, what is quite feasible when you have 5 colonies can also become impossible when you have 50 or 100. I would especially like to see a commercial forum, as I am rapidly expanding and would definitely see benefit from discussions regarding how management practices change as hive counts increase and other aspects of keeping bees on a commercial scale.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Sent a PM to Barry...will see if the postman delivers it.

Well, I guess we are out of luck with a Commercial/Pollination forum. I have PMed and I know they have had to have seen this thread and the response, but so far nothing from those who run the site so I guess it ain't gonna happen. :confused:

Well, if we can't get a forum going, I suggest a change to the rules. Add a rule that if a thread is dirrected toward commercial beeks, only commercial beeks, or those who have been commercial beeks are allowed to answer.

Another option is to ask each member to place their hive count in their tag. And ask the commercial guys who respond to a question to add in something like "from a commercial point of view" or something like that. All we really need is to get the commercial beeks more involved and get them to stand out. Maybe a ranking system?

As for those who who target commercial beeks. The only thing that I have seen so far is those who get down on them for moving their hives so much, but maybe I've missed other gripes. Anyway, I think we should all keep in mind that these guys/gals do this for a living. They know the risks involved in moving hives and stressing bees. And I'm sure they spend as much time as they can trying to keep their source of income healthy. If they have managed to stay in business, then they must be doing something right. Babying our hives is a luxery, not a nessessity.

I find this "bees need our constant attention to survive" to be very widespread amoung hobbist. Even in my own club. We are told not to assume that the queen is Ok just by lifting the lid and making a judgement call, that we should dig in and find her on every visit, and that each visit should be no more than two weeks apart. Personally, my opinion is that if someone gets into the broodnest more than twice a year without a good reason, he/she is disrupting them far too much. I just make sure that they have good equipment, a young healthy queen in the spring, no brood diseases, give them plenty of space, harvest, then make sure they are ready for winter. If I get into the broodnest at other times, its because I'm re-queening, something is wrong, I'm raising queens, or I'm making splits/nucs. If I open them up at any other time, its just a quick check to see if the hive looks healthy, and if they need more space. Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect that this what the commercial beeks do as well.

Ok sorry for the rant, I'm done now.

Commercial beekeepers are beekeepers too. And many of the hobbyists and sideliners have lots of experience behind them which gives them a certain expertise equal to the knowledge of many commercial beekeepers. So even if there isn't a Comm. Forum we'll get by alright.

Don't give up your dream of having such a Forum. It hasn't been rejected yet. Has it? Silence isn't the same as rejection.

sqkcrk, how true a statement about silence! I've been away from the board a lot lately and have not been on top of some requests.

At first reading of this thread, I'm a little concerned that a commercial forum may only amount to a place for "private" humor to take place among comrades. - That's for Keith!

Then I realized that if it ever got out of hand, Keith has offered to be the first to get thrown under!

Seriously, I'm always open to suggestions about the forums and a commercial forum is a possibility. The last thing I want happening is to create negative division among the members. This has the potential to do that. If someone or several want to come up with a description of what this forum would be, that would be a good start for me. I'll keep checking up here.
    Regards, Barry

Copied and modified from my post #45 this forum

I think a commercial forum would deal with subjects from a commercial point of view, not just have posts from commercial beeks.
    ...the focus on this forum could be on income production and cost/time efficiencies, and other subjects more of concern to those making their primary income from bees.
    Commercial outfits are well aware of the impact some shortcuts might have on the bees, discussions of pros/cons of certain practices on the various scales of operations might be helpful.
    While I think anyone should be able to post, it wouldn't be anything but divisive for those with no commercial experience trying to impose unrealistic methods or ideas on those with far greater experience. It is a given someone with 10 hives can babysit them to a much greater degree than a commercial operator can afford to. If a hobbyist is shocked by some of the less than micromanaging practices, they should refrain from posting to that effect unless they "been there, done that" and have something practical to offer.
    There are hobbyists who know more about bees than some commercial beekeepers (many of the small sideliners on this board could definitely teach me a thing or three ), I don't visualize this forum being about general beekeeping advice. Knowing how to run bees is not the focus here, it would be more geared towards how to run LOTS of bees at one time.
    But as I state this, I think I am thinking of operations such as ours. In fact, there are different models that could produce primary income, such as focusing on retail sales.
    Sheri

Very well said sheri.

[QUOTE=Barry;333231At first reading of this thread, I'm a little concerned that a commercial forum may only amount to a place for "private" humor to take place among comrades. - That's for Keith!

Then I realized that if it ever got out of hand, Keith has offered to be the first to get thrown under!

.[/QUOTE]

Well shoot Barry the cats already out of the bag.

I think alot of folks would get a kick out of the way we do things on a larger scale. It is a different way of keeping for sure.

So does this mean the new forum is up and running now.

Default Thank you Bee Source

Wow...thanks for getting this up and running you guys. Thanks Barry for giving it consideration.

I think this is going to be of benefit to a number of people....including me.

Smile commercial

hello
    I am alway ready to lend a hand,doing it organicway is the way I doit.maybe not a typical comercial beeker way. ask and you shall recieve.
    Don

Default Thank you

Glad to see this for us to be able to share our ideas with people in the same boat.

Thanks alph6 for suggesting this Forum and thanks Barry for setting it up.

Find a need and fill it.

Default Am I allowed in here?

I have about 40 hives (before 20 of them die this winter), produced and sold 2.1 tons of honey last year, and have been doing so for over 35 years.
    Am I qualified and allowed to read and post in this forum?
    Oh yeah, I own a one ton flatbed and two Bobcats.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast