Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Smile

Ooops, wrong thread.
    Last edited by Oldbee; 06-20-2008 at 08:43 AM.

Flint >I'm just a hobbyist, but I've worked for a couple of commercial outfits in the past

Flint, you are one lucky person. I envy you.

tileguy > And when I first started they showed me how to find the queen, the eggs, and even gave me some old wooden ware to help get me started.

and tileguy I envy you.

We already have guys with 2, 12, or 30 hives telling us how we
    should be running hundreds of hives, so a stand-alone forum
    would do nothing but make us even more attractive targets!

I have no strong feeling one way or another about starting a new forum. However, the idea about making it hidden or private in order to avoid annoying posters is silly and goes against the free exchange of ideas. I would be interested in hearing more about how the commercial people do things. Most of us understand that there are necessary differences due to labor, etc.

If there are annoying people starting a flame war, you can put those people on your ignore list and/or the moderators can get involved if necessary. Excluding interested people in attempt to civilize the internet doesn't make sense to me.

Here is kind of why I think we need a new forum.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220132

I know that these guys are just playing around with their answers, but if this guy was serious he would be able to get a good idea about what it takes to do it, if it could be done, how much time, costs, etc,etc...

instead, he is getting little or no info as opposed to reading info from posts that deal with commercial beekeeping.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha6 View Post

I know that these guys are just playing around with their answers, but if this guy was serious he would be able to get a good idea about what it takes to do it, if it could be done, how much time, costs, etc,etc...

instead, he is getting little or no info as opposed to reading info from posts that deal with commercial beekeeping.
    I concur with alpha6 on this point. Myself having around 100 hives I guess I would not quite be considered commercial, but if things keep going the way they are now I will be there next season (I've been told the magic number is 300).
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Quote Originally Posted by alpha6 View Post

Personally I don't consider that thread having anything to do with "COMMERCIAL" beekeeping. That's a hobbiest and he'll never make a living at it with 100 hives. I thought that thread was about having a side business with 100 hives and trying to make some money at it. Not to mention that what one guy might be able to make on 100 hives the guy down the road might not be able to make half that with the same number of hives. There are too many variables to be able to answer a question like that.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

I'm interested in reading the thread.
    Please make it public.

Dan

I would be interested in seeing and contributing to a commercial forum.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fischer View Post
    We already have guys with 2, 12, or 30 hives telling us how we
    should be running hundreds of hives, so a stand-alone forum
    would do nothing but make us even more attractive targets!
    And then we have beekeepers with hundreds/thousands of hives who "target" us with only one or two hives as "idiots" for doing what we do, lol.

A "commercial forum" would be good. I thought that was General Forum and the 101 Forum was for the others. Maybe we need a forum, .001 or .050?

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbee View Post
    Maybe we need a forum, .001 or .050?
    Hey, OB

Does that mean I can add my .02 cent's worth? Shoot.... still trying to earn my second nickel so I can rub two together, well I guess that's what happens when you run two thousand by yourself. I should have stop at a thousand. lol

Big Grin

Oh sure, your .02 cents, for what it's worth????...is welcome. lol.

I am only joking guys, you know that. I to admire what you do taking care of many, many hives; wish I could do that.

From what I can see,there has never been no target practice at any of the hobbie guys.professional gambling gets old after a while.Remember Keith its our IQ we are talking about.[JUST A COUPLE OF GALLONS]

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    Remember Keith its our IQ we are talking about.[JUST A COUPLE OF GALLONS]
    "It's our IQ" when you find mine give me a shout, been looking for it for years. lol

Last edited by sqkcrk; 06-22-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Redundant post due to computer error.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Does that mean I can add my .02 cent's worth?
    Cutting U.S. coinage is illeagal. .02 cent is two tenths of a cent, isn't it?

Just adding my 2 cents.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Cutting U.S. coinage is illeagal. .02 cent is two tenths of a cent, isn't it?

Just adding my 2 cents.
    wouldn't that bee 2/100s

2 cents, 2 tenths, 2 100ths, even Keith's second nickel, add them all up, the readers will be sure to get their money's worth.

Oldbee, I have never heard of any commercial operator calling hobbyists (in general, there are individual exceptions) idiots. If anything we are jealous. You actually get weekends off, lol.
    Sheri

Actually, weekends are when we work the bees. During the week we work our regular jobs that get us the money to afford the bees.
    Not to put down any commercial beeks. I know you guys work seven day weeks too.
    Having worked both sides, I know that the hobby-side is definetly much more relaxing and enjoyable. As a hobbyist, when the bees aren't doing well, I'm disappointed, but my paycheck is unaffected. Plus, I can really spend a lot of time with each individual hive, get to know them personally, which is the enjoyable part for me. Getting some surplus honey at the end of the year and seeing some hives survive the winter is the bonus part.

Default BeeSource Forums...any help?

Hoping that mods or someone will be able to address this issue of starting a new forum, but so far nothing heard here or from email sent to the BeeSource contact link.

Anyone have any idea of how to get this added? :confused:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast