Default Garden Pests and Keeping Bees

I'm not sure whether this should go in Tailgater, under Diseases and Pests or where. Feel free to move this thread to where it belongs.

My wife and I put in a small garden that sits about 15 feet from my beehive. We started late, but the plants are in and growing.

My family always had a garden, but I have not had my own until now, except for tomatoes and some herbs. When I was growing up, we dealt with most pests by dusting plants with Savin (sp?) dust. That's what my Dad still uses on his garden. However, I don't want to use anything that would hurt my bees, which I expect to visit some of the the plants (esp. the squash, cucumbers and crowder peas).

I'm not worried about my tomotoes, since I've not have many pest problems with them before. I am more concerned with squash and cucumbers, because I remember beetles being a big problem with them. I also have a patch of crowder peas, and my Dad mentioned that he usually has trouble with some type of fly (I think they are called stem flies, but not sure).

What do you beekeeper/gardener types use for pest control that does not hurt the bees?

Thanks

Check out dirtdoctor.com & malcombeck.com. Be patient & persistent. It doesn't happen overnight.

Smile dusting plants with Savin (sp?) dust.

Sevin: Toxic to bees
    Carbaryl
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Carbaryl

IUPAC name 1-naphthyl methylcarbamate
    Other names Sevin
    Identifiers
    CAS number [63-25-2]
    SMILES CNC(OC2=CC=CC1=CC=CC=C12)=O
    Properties
    Molecular formula C12H11NO2
    Molar mass 201.221 g/mol
    Appearance Colorless crystalline solid
    Melting point 142 C

Except where noted otherwise, data are given for
    materials in their standard state
    (at 25 C, 100 kPa)
    Infobox disclaimer and references
    Carbaryl (1-naphthyl methylcarbamate) is a chemical in the carbamate family used chiefly as an insecticide. It is a colorless white crystalline solid. It is commonly sold under the brand name Sevin, a trademark of the Bayer Company. Originally, Union Carbide discovered carbaryl and introduced it commercially in 1958, and it remains the third-most-utilized insecticide in the United States for home gardens, commercial agriculture, and forestry and rangeland protection. Bayer purchased Aventis CropScience in 2002, a company that included Union Carbide pesticide operations.

Its safety is somewhat controversial. It is a cholinesterase inhibitor and can be toxic to humans with excessive exposure, though no known fatalities have been reported. It is classified as a likely human carcinogen by the EPA. It kills various beneficial insect and crustacean species along with the pests it is intended for, so care must be taken when spraying in areas where such species are present. Carbaryl is acutely toxic to honeybees and can destroy colonies of bees that are foraging in an area where the chemical has been applied.
    Oral LD50:

250 mg/kg to 850 mg/kg for rats
    100 mg/kg to 650 mg/kg for mice
    When ingested by people, it is metabolized rapidly and excreted in the urine.

Toxic to bees. Toxic to bees
    You might consider the application of an insecticidal soap
    Regards,
    Ernie Lucas Apiaries
    Last edited by BEES4U; 06-16-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: I wanted this feature
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/