Default Queens are M.I.A.

I am having a heck of a time, this year. I go from queens that are not laying to queens that are gone. First of all, I mark all of my queens, so I can find them. I have a total of 5 hives in 2 different yard that have turned up queenless. What in the word is going on here? To give you all a little history of these hives. They are all packages, 2 Russian and 3 Italians. They started out going all out, queens laying good, tight patterns, and I add 2nd deeps to them. They keep on going great and then they stopped. I am glad that I found them when I did. I took the top box off and went threw the hive completely. No queen, no fresh brood, just a few frames of capped brood. Weak queens, bad batch? Something that I did or am not doing? I am at a lost. I really need to learn how to graft cells. This is getting expensive and is driving me crazy. Or I need to find a new source for Queens. The rest of the packages, from this group have a super on them. It looks like I am going to have to make one of them the doner colony for frames of brood so they can make their own queens. Has anyone else had this problem ? Any advice would be great. Or someone with a few queens that they would like to get rid of!
    Thanks,
    Marc:confused:
    life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you are gonna get

How often are you able to check your hives?

Do you think it is possible they may have swarmed with your queens?

Marc, there is a guy in Hillsboro on rt. 50 who sells buckfast queens for 18.50 each. Go to Higgins metal roofing and siding. I bought 7 of them and 6 of them took introduce them slowly though when I opened the hives to see if they've been released I seen several workers holding down the queen and examining her. I thought for sure they were toast but a week later they were all laying eggs. Where did you get your packages from I got 10 Italians from waldo's 3 are really good 3 are o.k. 4 are getting requeened very soon. Good luck Tony

Tony,
    I always forget that Jim Higgins has some queens around. I got my first hive from him. I need to get there to get some wire for some super frames too. These bees came from Waldo as well. We got 15 from them. Half are doing real good but there is the problem that I am having from the rest of them. I have bought 4 queens from them this year as well. They are doing real well. What kind of trouble are you having with yours?
    Doc,
    I check them once a week. I am not saying that they did'nt swarm, there is always that chance. My brother has the farm where the out yard is and I would hope that at least one of them would have landed close to his house. But with bees, you never know.

I bought 20 queens this spring. Nine have either not taken or have been superceded. I am going to start raising my own. I cannnot believe this is all my fault.

I think that is the road that I am going to take. I just got 3 new queens, this morning. Buckfast queens, not my first pick, but they were there. Plus, I did not have to pay to have them shipped. Nothing wrong with the Buckfast bread but they are not my first choice. I have 3 of them and they can be a little hotter than I like for them to be. I have read a couple of books about raising queens but I am not sure that I understand all of these different methods. I will start raising nucs and let them make their own queens. At least I will have several to choose from and with a little luck, the will work.

Marc mostly they are just not building up like they should be, I've kept sugar syrup and a couple rounds of mega-bee on them and I started them out with a couple of drawn combs and eight frames of foundation but a few of them are still only about 5 frame strength. Another guy told me the buckfasts were a little hot too. Good luck on the queen rearing.