Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How can I move a bumblebee nest?

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Walliebee 
#1 ·
A friend of mine has a bumblebee nest in his newspaper box- which is underneath his mailbox. It is one piece construction. A Carolina Wren made a nest in there and the bumblebees moved in and established themselves.

The bumblebees are becoming a hazard to the mail carrier and the people getting the mail. My friend doesn't want to destroy the nest- but move it if possible.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks for reading-

Mike

#2 ·
I moved one a few weeks ago and they are doing well. They had built their nest in a hard hat that also had a wrens nest in it. I needed to use the hard hat, so i moved them into a honeybee package shipping box.
I stuffed it with wheat straw and some moss, but left an open area where the can of syrup would go. At dusk after all the foragers were in I carefully moved the nest into the box. They were really buzzing! I placed it by the wood pile, and put some small pieces of plywood and firewood around it to provide shelter from rain and sun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.