Default How can I move a bumblebee nest?

A friend of mine has a bumblebee nest in his newspaper box- which is underneath his mailbox. It is one piece construction. A Carolina Wren made a nest in there and the bumblebees moved in and established themselves.

The bumblebees are becoming a hazard to the mail carrier and the people getting the mail. My friend doesn't want to destroy the nest- but move it if possible.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks for reading-

Mike

I moved one a few weeks ago and they are doing well. They had built their nest in a hard hat that also had a wrens nest in it. I needed to use the hard hat, so i moved them into a honeybee package shipping box.
    I stuffed it with wheat straw and some moss, but left an open area where the can of syrup would go. At dusk after all the foragers were in I carefully moved the nest into the box. They were really buzzing! I placed it by the wood pile, and put some small pieces of plywood and firewood around it to provide shelter from rain and sun.

Thanks for responding- I have a few package boxes that I can use- Did you have any issues with them trying to sting you? I have a full Dadant suit- I wonder whether that would be adequate protection from stings. Did you smoke them at all?

Mike

I wear 2 suits when dealing with YJ's and Bumble bees.
    Richard Martyniak, M.S. Entomologist - http://AllFloridaBeeRemoval.com

Quote Originally Posted by vajerzy View Post
    Did you have any issues with them trying to sting you? Did you smoke them at all?

Mike
    They are very defensive of their hives, so I did wear a suit. Also keep in mind that they can repeat sting as they don't the barbs that cause honeybees to loose their stinger.

I did not use any smoke as I felt it would do little good with bumblebees.