Default Honey, a nuisance

So, I've finally decided to enter the 19th century and stop using destructive methods of honey harvest and buy some real extracting equipment. I want a setup that is 1) QUICK and 2) A "pleasure" to use . Physical size, ease of cleanup and maintenence are important. I will pay $$ for fine equipment that works well. I cannot afford a honey house or even a real house and do not have the time to market honey. If I sell any product it will be to a single buyer. Opinions of full time, commercial beeks are especially welcome.

So.... how many hives do you have? I think it's going to make a difference in the answers you get.
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation

Without a honey house or even a house, small or portable sounds like the operative word. Make sure it will go through whatever doors it needs to.

My garage becomes my honey house during the harvest season, it donít hurt the car to set outside for a couple of months.
    Buy a good extractor if you buy to small you will be sorry, they donít get any cheaper so get what you think you will need now. I have a Dadant powered extractor and love it, even though I wished I would have sprung for a larger one. You can make your own uncapping tank. I used two PVC laundry sinks. I bolted them together, I use a modified medal queen excluder and stainless window screen for a strainer. And ĺ EMT conduit for frame rests while uncapping.
    You can buy white plastic buckets at places like Lowes and buy a honey gate from various suppliers for under 15 bucks for a bottling tank.
    After I started to sell honey in my area every year they seem to find me to buy honey. But a little leg work will score more customers. Right now I have 27 hives but only started out with two in 2001, which is the only year I didnít make a profit. If you are a little handy you can save yourself money by making your own equipment.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Why don't you make comb honey?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Why don't you make comb honey?
    I do make comb honey, but am currently culling 20% of my comb per a year. This combined with comb honey, crushing, and difficulty with storage makes it difficult to increase my comb inventory. Given time, space and money I would work hives 'til I passed out and expand without limit :-)

As it stands I only have 11 hives and was eyeing one of those little Italian jobs.

Default Nuisance honey

dadant's Ranger with a motor is an economical and easy solution. get the extra basket for deeps and you can do shallows mediums radially and deeps tangentially. fast easy and inexpensive. if the honey is too big a nuisance let us know, i'm sure someone will take it off your hands. With 11 hives one season will pay for your equipment.

frankly if you bottle it, give away a few bottles, then people will just come to you for it. I never have enough, the people who really love it buy one jar and then come back for a case.

Or find some enterprising kid and let him bottle and sell it and split the spoils.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Smile I purchased one of those Little Italian jobs

I have 18 hives. I purchased one of those little Italian jobs, 9 frame hand crank. I didn't use it but one season before I bought a conversion "power head" from Kelleys. The radial design requires a lot more spinning than the 4 frame tangential to get the honey out. It didn't require that much "backyard engineering" to get Kelley power head to work with the Italian extractor. For the money it's the best buy in my opinion.
    you must endeavor to persevere

I'm in the process of build ing a small 2 frame radial. It will be a 3:1 ratio. I hope it will spin fast enough.

Aspera:

Email me at chefif@comcast.net

I have a friend, who is also a beesource member, who build a real nice extractor for pretty cheap. He is very innovative.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Chef,

Just emailed ya, let me know the details.

Hal