Default Feeding bulk and Division Board Bee Feeders simultaneously?

Hi again....

I have hives about to starve and even lost one so i rushed and put in Division board feeders in all the new hives before I lose them. Weather is supposed to get better so I know all the stronger hives will be out flying tomorrow and I know they will try to rob. Not having the time to put feeders in the strong hives too...I decided to put out a 5 gallon bulk feeder to give the strong hives some too. Good idea or bad?

JoeMcc
    "Slow Down and Taste the Vanilla" - My Grandma

I would put it in your bee yard as far away from the hives as possible if it were me. If you put it near the hives then that could incourage the bees to rob more. I have put a community feeder out on several occasions when I had to, but I make sure it is at least fifty yards away from the hives. I am not saying that what I do is right, but in my opinion that is the best way to do a community feeder. Others might have some good input also.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I would put it in your bee yard as far away from the hives as possible if it were me. If you put it near the hives then that could incourage the bees to rob more. I have put a community feeder out on several occasions when I had to, but I make sure it is at least fifty yards away from the hives. I am not saying that what I do is right, but in my opinion that is the best way to do a community feeder. Others might have some good input also.

I put it about 50 yards away in the oposite direction of the weaker hives. Well I hope all goes well. If we dont get good weather soon i will be feeding all summer. I heard on the news yesterday western WA has had less days over 60 this year than any other year on record since 1917. Its only been above 23 days since Jan 1.

JoeMcc

Amazing...

5 gal pail gone before sundown from 15 hives. No evidence of robbing. Re filled the bucket late last night. Re filled all internal feeders.

JoeMcc

Open feeding invites yellow jackets and other unwanted problems to eat the syrup plus any other hives (feral or other beekeepers hives) to take the syrup.

If you are going to continue to open feed, can I move some hives close to yours? It would really cut down on my sugar bill.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

This is very temp... Today will be the last open feeding day...

I just havnt had time to get into every hive. I couldnt let my bees starve. Rather feed the masses for a day than lose 15 hives.

JoeMcc

Isaac....

Check this bee out. Like i said it looks small here... its just slightly smaller than the itallians.

http://beesource.com/forums/showthre...371#post327371

JoeMcc

I am no expert, but I have been feeding my hives with Megabee patties on top of the frames. The bees eat this stuff up faster than a football team at an all-you-can-eat smorgasbord. I have 4 hives that are having a hard time with the cold weather and fog so they don't get out much. I am feeding them heavily. I buy the Megabee in bulk from Dadant and the sugar (I don't use HFCS or High Fructose Corn Sugar) from Costco. I boil up some syrup and mix it up myself. I can give them one patty a week per hive. You don't have robbing problems and you can feed them without disturbing the hive too much if you are careful.