Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Migratory Pallets

What are the dimensions on a 6 way pallet?

How about for 8 frame equipment?

It's going to depend on the pallet clip style
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

W clips are pretty much the standard now, aren't they? Does anybody still buy new U clips?
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 12-29-2009 at 05:25 AM. Reason: UNQ

Do you guys level the pallets when you put them down?

No. Not exactly. But I don't set them down so that they lean either. So I guess I do level them by eye. I do have a friend who uses a level on some of his pallets. Especially the warehouse pallets of supers that he leaves in his yards for the winter.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 01-09-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: UNQ
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ragan View Post
    I've designed 4 way screened bottom board pallets http://www.windmillhillfarmstore.com...creened_bottom. All wood is of standard off the shelf dimension (cheap). I've plans if anyone wants to build their own.
    I had to chuckle at your pink boxes... I got the same color when I bought my paint (I bought the first color mis-match I came accross since they are so cheap and it happened to be that same color). I am thinking about nicknaming my pink hives "the pink ladies".

With the business that I own we are always throwing pallets away or paying someone to come pick them up. I should start selling them.

>>W clips are pretty much the standard now, aren't they? Does anybody still buy new U clips?

Yup,
    all mine
    Who knows, perhaps I will change

I dont have any experience with W clips, but dont you think the ants would just love that space also? Easier to rid them I guess
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

TH\hanks for the pic Jim!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

All of my pallets new and old are "U" clips.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

I'm going to be building some of my own, so I'll have measurements when we get back from the almonds, again. We use 4 way pallets with the bottom board incorporated as 2 pieces of plywood & a 1/2" rim. One on the approach side, one on the away. I would recommend drilling drain holes near the center of the pallet. Most of the pallets I pick up that don't have them will drain water from the entrance as soon as I lift them. Even if the bees don't care, the standing water will rot the wood. Use pressure treated lumber wherever possible, it will preserve your investment.

We use W clips. I've never used U clips, but I would think the lack of space between hives would make servicing them kind of tough. Too hard to tilt back without disturbing the adjoining colony. A guess, but I think a reasonable one.
    KI6FCI

The only thing I see bad about "U" clips is the rot at the bottom of the deeps in between and ants. I've found that when you are working a hive on a pallet all other hives on that pallet know you are there. That's why I will smoke all 4 hives before opening the first on the pallet. I am starting to drill a hole in both inside corners for water drainage. I just hope the bees won't cluster under the hole and get squashed when being moved. They shouldn't with a 1/2"-3/4" hole.

I would guess ants between the boxes, using U clamps, would be trouble when moving hives into California.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

They come back from CA full of ants! Not all of them but enough.

I have only seen 2 different styles of migratory pallets. One used a peculiar bottom board, and the other had a deck, that was the bottom board. The entrances had been routed out of the plywood deck.

Want to bring this back up, what sort of lifespan do you get out of a pallet? Also what rots first the bottom or the ply? I want to make some 4 ways and need to decide on what materials to use.

What is the cheapest and best way to make covers tops for 4 way pallets.

When I was building wooden boats, I learned that some of the most rot resistant wood is white oak and yellow pine, but, in wet ground conditions (I live on the gulf coast), these will rot quicker than you like. I would look at treated wood, or find the plastic pallets, and put a wooden top on it.

i make couple covers from 1/2 inch treated fence boards they 6foot just for 1 cover $1.52 each Home Depot i dryed them for 2 weeks cost me about $3 each cover, but when i put it together another 2weeks they start spliting. maybee not good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    They come back from CA full of ants! Not all of them but enough.
    And they let you out of the state? When they won't let you in that way?
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by brac View Post
    Want to bring this back up, what sort of lifespan do you get out of a pallet? Also what rots first the bottom or the ply? I want to make some 4 ways and need to decide on what materials to use.
    Haven't had my own long enuf to notice rot, but other folks that I have seen, the 1 by 3 stringers on the bottom rot or get broke before much else goes bad or needs repair.

I have holes in the corners of what would be the bottom boards, to allow water to get out. I need to make them bigger though. A small holes get plugged. That's where I have seen other pallets go bad. Water accumulating on the deck and rotting the wood.

Materials? Pressure treated plywood or, if you can afford it, Marine Grade Plywood. Pressure treated 2x4s and 1x4s. W clips.
    Mark Berninghausen

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast