Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wild weekend

I just checked my box and found the Benedryl 6 years out of date. How new are yours?
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Quote Originally Posted by clintonbemrose View Post
    I just checked my box and found the Benedryl 6 years out of date. How new are yours?
    Clint
    Mine are a year expired... Good point to bring up!!!

Would be no fun after taking a load of stings, a mile from any person, sweating profusely, light headed, etc, and realize "Oop's, my benadryl is expired"...
    Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
    "There's nothing wrong with me, it's the rest of the world that has a problem"

Wink

I heard on the radio that the new iPhone actually has a GPS built in to to detect where you are when you call 911.

Up to now most phones use a triangulation computation to your position to TRY to figure out where you are.

I guess if we are going to tend our bees alone, we should all go buy the new iPhone so that when we call 911 they can actually find us in the middle of a farmers field, lying down, unconscious, overheating, and about to expire from the stings and the heat.

Yes dear, it is a safety thing - I have to have this. No it is not just because I want the latest cool gadget. For safety reasons, I NEED this.

;-)
    Troy

Maybe the swelling caused by the sting constricted blood flow in your neck. That's never good when it's on its way to your head.

thanks everyone some of your resonses have been very helpful and others very funny to clarify I was not stung in the jugular but on the jugular. And i did within a few mins. take two benadryl tablets. With the speed of the paramedics and the fact that i was put on so many drugs so fast i never had any swelling at the sting site which for me was very different(guess my body had been through enough) thanks again and keep 'em coming
    -jeff

Default stings

Been working with bees for years and not to bad a reaction,but screwed up.Went out to cut yards and found a swarm near dark up in a tree.Was cold wind,just got back from guiding up north and was behind in management.Backt truck up under them,no suit,piled up 3 supers,put a lid on,got a empty with full frames ready,no saw,lots of leaves,heavy trunk,put the box under it and just whackt the 2 in.branch.Wow,they come unglued.Had to set the box down,piled out of truck box,head 1st into tall grass,they were crawling in after me.To make it short,never had a swarm act this way,but,back of head,eyes,hand,neck,chest,wow.Got into truck,there to.In 10 min.,my palms and bottom of feet were cherry red,very burning,eyes swelled shut on left,hand twice as big,and balance screwed,had fever.The pain was,don't touch.Lasted 6 hour's,24 hrs.still swollen.Man,was ruff.Hope I got the queen.Had to go back up 8 times to get the continued swarm.Hope some one learns,what might work 50 times,51 might git ya.
    B. roger eagles

Default stings

a veil is like a seatbelt- when you need it, its too late to put it on. glad you're o.k.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

A lot of phones have gps for 911, My Nextel has had it for years. The problem is many 911 operators equipment isn't capable of decoding the message.

Dan

i just wont tell my wife. that way I'll be able to have the cool phone while she still feels bad for me

Quote Originally Posted by jeff123fish View Post
    What i want to ask the forum is has anyone else had a reaction like mine

I had one just like yours! Only mine involved beer(only a little) and heat, and my first swarm collection. They weren't as gentle as everyone had told me they should be

They gave me an epi pen prescription, I never filled it.

Only had one other bad experience since(5 yrs or so.) http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-...-L&P=R431&I=-3

"I got stung on the inside of my elbow, right where
    the Red Cross sticks me for a donation."

Jeff,

I had a very similar experience a couple of years ago. I was walking back out to my hives to get my smoker. A bee came to nail me and got under my glasses. I took a single sting directly under the eye. I tried scraping the stinger off but couldn't find it. So, I walked back into the house, went into the bathroom and used the mirror to remove it. Within a half hour, I was very hot and sweaty and had a rash from my waist up. I took a Benadryl tablet and laid down. Within an hour, the rash was gone and I felt better.

I started wearing gloves and a jacket and only took a couple of stings through the gloves for the rest of the year. All of last year, I did the same thing....just getting a few stings through the gloves. I didn't have any reaction at all except for minor swelling and itching.

This year, I decided to be less cautious. I only wear a veil....not a jacket, and no gloves at all. I've been stung about five or six times so far this year on the hands and arms with no systemic reaction. What's most interesting is that a week ago I was sitting out near the hives with one of the dogs just watching the bees come and go. One of the foragers came blasting out and flew right into my face. Before I could do anything, she stung me right on the cheekbone. It was lower than the sting that caused me problems but not by much. This time, I had no systemic reaction at all. I had a slightly shut eye but it was barely noticeable.

I think that a lot depends on how much venom you take and clearly, the spot that you get stung in. When I took the sting below the eye, it was in that soft area right under my lower eyelid. Maybe the venom got into my system quicker than when I was stung above the cheekbone.

Anyway, I'm glad that I'm apparently not going to have a systemic reaction every time. I do keep liquid Benadryl around because my Dr. told me that it gets absorbed faster than the tablet.

Hope this helps
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I had a sting the other day on the heel of my hand. You know, the softest part of the palm? It hurt but nothing unusual. About a half-hour later and for a half-hour my elbow pained so bad I couldn't touch it. Anyone have this happen?

Dickm

As a follow up to my post I went to an allergist today. Found out that I am in fact allergic to bee stings of all kinds (they test 5 different types of bee venom). Of all my reactions the honey bee reaction was 5 times worse than all the others, luckily for me I had an understanding doctor he didn't even hint at me getting rid of the bees instead I start my sting therapy next week. Well looking forward to getting it over with I will keep you all posted.

jeff

How did the therapy go?
    Kevin
    Milton Township, Michigan (near South Bend, Indiana)

Default Been there done that

Last year after 4 yrs of beekeeping and weekly stings to my hands, I was stung on the temple and immediately knew something was different. Got hives on my arms, itching between my fingers and toes, eyes swelled shut and tongue swelled. Went to the hospital and got all the iv's etc., 6 weeks later after bee season was over went to the allergist and was determined to be "DEATHLY ALLERGIC" to Honeybees! I have been stung again this year on the hands with little reaction but you bet ya I carry an epi pen (fed-ex courier) and I did go through all the allergy treatments although I wonder how neccessary they are.
    I would at least carry benadryl (liquid works faster, but pills are good too) and an epi pen. Benadryl can save your life. Last year we had a huge bonfire and a friends face swelled up HORRIBLY, gave him two benadryl and sent him to the hospital. Turns out poison ivy was on the huge log they were burning (he is deathly allergic)and the benadryl saved his life.
    Cam
    SignQueen
    Southwestern Ohio Beekeepers Association
    swoba.org lovelandhoney.com

Its kind of funny how common this is with beekeepers. I was releaved to know that I was not going to have to stop bee keeping all together in stead I just have to take alot of precautions. I have been stung 5 times since mostly on the hands and have had no negative reactions since so to answer your question knadai I was supposed to get my first shots last week but got stung instead and took benadryl so they would not let me get my shots for the week hope fully i will be able to start them this week.

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12