Default Extraction insurance: $2K plus?

I FINALLY got one insurance company to email me back (outfit out of Texas), one line: "Be prepared to pay $2000 or more because you remove bees and that's pest control."

Holy Cow! Is that similar to what other folks are paying?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I understand an underwriter making the mistake of calling it 'pest control' per se. But they need to realize that the vast majority of pest control liability issues come from pesticide use - accidental drift, non-target organisms becoming victims, etc. The liability here really comes from carpentry work. ie- If you unknowlingly nick a wire and a fire starts some time- days/weeks/months later on. If accidental structural damage occurs. If a power tool shorts out and causes a fire (a friend who does HVAC work started a fire on a rooftop while working on the roof mounted HVAC unit by his vacuum pump burning up). Stuff happens, but this is not technically 'pest control' in my book- it's animal rescue & demolition carpentry.

Look for a company who covers small operator carpenters (American States used to have one incredibly low priced small contractor package policy for one example). That may be pushing the view some, though. With all the catastrophic occurances that have happened over the last few decades, insurance companies are looking to limit liability at every opportunity, so I guess I understand their narrow view at this, but I don't agree with it.

dude that's a crapton of money. in searching for my own insurance i spoke to the hartford (suggested by several on this board) and farm family group (which i found through the farm bureau, at joel's suggestion.) both covered me for all beekeeping activities (including removals) for WAY less than that, provided i didn't kill the bees i removed, but rather kept them for myself.

gee... pay less AND get more bees... um, okay you talked me into it!

i would definitely keep looking if i were you.

Quote Originally Posted by arjay View Post
    dude that's a crapton of money. in searching for my own insurance i spoke to the hartford (suggested by several on this board) and farm family group (which i found through the farm bureau, at joel's suggestion.) both covered me for all beekeeping activities (including removals) for WAY less than that, provided i didn't kill the bees i removed, but rather kept them for myself.

gee... pay less AND get more bees... um, okay you talked me into it!

i would definitely keep looking if i were you.
    How much?
    Milk Cows Not Taxpayers

the total policy is around 1200 dollars, roughly half of which is homeowner's insurance. of the other half, about 350 is for "farm profits," which is kind of pointless because i don't have a farm, but that's their base premium, so whatever, and rest is split up between beekeeping, soapmaking, and candle liability and personal injury. the beekeeping portion covers all beekeeping related activities - like i said, as long as i don't kill anything (hopefully the bees that get squished during capture don't void that part of the policy...)

The risk of stinging incidents is what really worries me, at least in AHB areas here in FLA. one sting + one allergic neighbor or passer-by = You people who are doing removals with livestock insurance or similar are risking muchly.

2K seems high, even for pest control liability insurance, assuming your annual sales are relatively low. I think 1200/yr was the minimum I was quoted a couple years ago for a 1million/incident policy.
    Richard Martyniak, M.S. Entomologist - http://AllFloridaBeeRemoval.com