Thread: Bee Pictures!

Nice pics...I particularly like the shots of the bees hunched over and fanning nasanov.

The bees are likely building comb between the two brood boxes because of bees space violation. That is, the space between the top bar in the bottom box and the bottom bar in the top box is more than 3/8".

Other more experienced beeks will chime in, I'm sure. I have a couple of hives that do the same thing. I just scrape the burr comb off each time I inspect.

Matt
    Last edited by Matt Guyrd; 06-09-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Those are some of the best bee pics. I have ever seen. Nice job!
    Big T

great pics. thanks for sharing

How do you get pics like that? my girls are fine with me looking in the hive, sitting by the hive, opening the hive, kids playing around the hive, etc. etc., but the minute i get a camera out, they try to attack it!

And the goal of it all.... and easier to get pictures of!!!

Why aren't the pics displayed in the thread?

I dunno.. I put image tags on mine. And I just checked my user cp and it shows image display is turned on. The board must have image tags turned off or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmanno View Post
    How do you get pics like that? my girls are fine with me looking in the hive, sitting by the hive, opening the hive, kids playing around the hive, etc. etc., but the minute i get a camera out, they try to attack it!
    I don't know, they don't care if the camera is practically touching them. I guess they are just more tame maybe?
    LJC...

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I dunno.. I put image tags on mine. And I just checked my user cp and it shows image display is turned on. The board must have image tags turned off or something like that.
    Images are only able to be directly displayed in the photo section of this forum.

---------------

The bridge/burr comb displayed in your first image link is entirely normal. The only time most colonies do not create it, is when there is a dearth of nectar and/or the colony is pitifully weak. It is a sign that your colony is strong and has a good supply of nectar. Most often they will create less of this when you use all wooden frames and more of this when you use all plastic frames. But, though it can be a little annoying, it is another way to know the status of your colonies.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Ah.. I musta missed that change. Recall them being active a good while back, particularly when hosted off site. But.. such as it is... nothing to see here... carry on!

bump.
    LJC...

I could be wrong, as this is only my 3rd year beekeeping, but I have accepted this bit of burr comb pretty normal. Seems that all of my hives get it. Of course my equipment is all a mish mash from different suppliers and types. Could be tolerences producing an incorrect beespace. Maybe the super is 1/8" too tall, while the frame is 1/8" to short sort of thing... Somewhat of a "tolerence stack-up" producing too much space between the boxes.

To deal with it, before removing any box, I pry the box up just enough to break the propolis seal, and twist slowly before lifting. I than usually scrape all this stuff off after the boxes are apart to keep it to a minimum.
    Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
    "There's nothing wrong with me, it's the rest of the world that has a problem"