Exclamation Making Up Nuc for Queen Bank

I just received 6 queens this Friday to requeen a couple of weak colonies, with the intention of banking the rest. I had planned on de-queening a nuc I made from a swarm caught earlier this year, but wouldn't you know it I could not find the queen yesterday.

The weather has been rainy, windy and hot so I did not want to mess with the hives too much. I did de-queen the two hives that I want to re-queen. What I want to do is to make up a new nuc (five frame) with a division board feeder, three frames of capped brood, and the modified frame that will hold the queen in their cages (mini cage no attendants).

Can I make this up and install the queens all in one day, or should I wait a day or two? Should I put a queen excluder on a queenright colony and place the queens in there instead? I have read on this board that you can do this and that it helps to have some brood up there with them. What would you folks do? If I do wait how long can I keep the queens in the shipping cage. They are corked and do not have the candy plug installed yet. I have lightly sprayed the attendants with sugar water and placed fresh water on the screen.

Thanks in advance!

I would wait for 2 to 3 hours before putting the queens in the banking nuc.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Thanks,

I made up a nuc today with two frames of sealed brood and bees and a feeder. It started raining so I did not get a chance to put the queens in. I will do tomorrow. Should work out better anyways. Love when mother nature intervenes.

I make mine up with one frame from each of several hives. The confusion is your friend. Like Clinton, I'd wait two hours minimum.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks,

That is what I did. I took frames of brood and bees from a couple of different hives. That was 6/8. I could not get in there yesterday, so I am going to today 6/10. Rain and high winds prevented me from putting the queens in any earlier. They should be more than ready today.