Thread: Rauchboy

Default Rauchboy

Well, I've decided to retire my 1950's Woodman smoker. She is beautiful. She is graceful. I've purchased a Kelley 10" and it is alright, but I miss the old girl and her incredible workmanship. I've noticed the Rauchboy. Is it as good as they tout? Is the workmanship good? Can I pass it on to My grandson?
    Lawrence Underwood / Mobile, Alabama http://mollysueshoney.blogspot.com

Thumbs down I bought a Rauchboy...

...and have not been very impressed with it. It is difficult to start, goes out occasionally, and the top sticks closed once it gets some creosote around it. Just my 2 cents worth. -Danno

>Is it as good as they tout?

If you keep it clean it will stay lit. As it gets creasoted up (as all smokers do) it will not and has to be cleaned out. (I use a torch to burn out the creasote). It is made of stainless steel so it should last. Of course buy the big one, if you get one, as it will be easier to light.

> Is the workmanship good?

It is a typical smoker in many ways as it's just bent sheet metal for the hinges etc.

> Can I pass it on to My grandson?

Probably.

How about this one?

http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=134
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have a Rauchboy, and tend to agree with Danno about it being hard to get started sometimes, and the lid sticking when even moderately creosoted. Plus the pull tab for lid is not the best design...it gets way too hot for bare fingers to pop open.

As Michael says, it's not exactly "better" crafted than other smokers. I would say it's crafted in a typical German manner of [over] attention to detail, but that doesn't necessarily make it better. Funny thing is I was thinking if I ever go to replace it with a comparably priced smoker, I would buy exactly the smoker Michael pointed out.

P.S. I can say that about German manner, because I was married to a German citizen once upon a time.
    Last edited by Tim Hall; 06-07-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: needed to make a slight slam on the ex