Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weight of honey

Default Re: weight of honey

Agreed but specifically to what the OP asked, if I had to guess at a weight for a label on a pint jar, it would probably have to be 23ozs. I just don't think it's feasible to get 24 ozs. Into a standard pint jar. Probably be best for LT to experiment with his specific jars and honey.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

We fill ours to a reasonable level. We get 21 oz in pints & 43 oz in quarts. As has been stated, weights will vary slightly. Weigh yours and see what you get.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

When I first weighed mine out it was 10 for 1/2pint 22 for pint and 44 for qt so I have just stayed there. They may get a little from time to time but I am satisfied with that.

The thing about honey is that it is not uniform. There are many different types of honey and they all weigh different amounts per volume so the only real way to sell it is by volume.... and the only real way to know how much honey to add to a mead recipe is to actually weigh out the honey! Yup, grab a scale and weigh out exactly what you need. That said, I have never made mead. 16 oz of honey aka one pound jar... is volume not weight.

If you take a measuring cup and put 8 oz of flour, in one 8 oz of sugar in another and 8 oz of honey in another... all will weight differently... volume, not weight.
    Last edited by Eaglerock; 06-27-2015 at 10:38 AM.
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerock View Post
    The thing about honey is that it is not uniform. There are many different types of honey and they all weigh different amounts per volume so the only real way to sell it is by volume.... and the only real way to know how much honey to add to a mead recipe is to actually weigh out the honey! Yup, grab a scale and weigh out exactly what you need. That said, I have never made mead. 16 oz of honey aka one pound jar... is volume not weight.

If you take a measuring cup and put 8 oz of flour, in one 8 oz of sugar in another and 8 oz of honey in another... all will weight differently... volume, not weight.
    I think you are confusing fluid ounces which is a measure of volume with ounces which is a measure of weight. 16 ounces of anything=1 pound.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I think you are confusing fluid ounces which is a measure of volume with ounces which is a measure of weight. 16 ounces of anything=1 pound.
    No I was stating that there is a difference... when I sell a 5 gallon pail the weight may differ.... Raw honey they bought 2 months ago weighed more and that was their complaint as the one they bought last week weighed less. The one they bought 2 months ago was raw and they had to heat it to bottle it. They kept coming in and asking me what they could do. This time I heated it for them and now they are upset. I can't help them... it is what it is. They are a block away and are using my honey to compete with me in there store/restaurant.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Also... a pound of feathers and a pound of gold is both a pound, but the volume we know is way different.

"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney I love your quote!

It is not too much wait. You can easily know this by google.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mel View Post
    It is not too much wait. You can easily know this by google.
    Wait for?

I'm pretty sure that Joe meant "weight".
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

As mentioned I cannot seem to get 3 lbs of honey into a quart mason jar but I can get 6 lbs into a half gallon mason jar. Maybe it is head space? Jar brands?
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12