Big Grin 8 frame supers size

I need the inside measurement for an 8 frame super. How much do I need to cut off my 10 frame equipment? THANKS
    ! ! ! 4 years and STILL a bee-ginner ! ! !

8-frame inner dimensions vary among manufacturers. I like 12-1/4" inner width, with length the same as 10-frame supers. With 3/4" thick boards that is 13-3/4" wide outer dimension.

With 12-1/4" inner width, I can fit 9 frames of 1-1/4" width and still have 1/2" space between the surfaces of the outer frames and the hive wall on each side.

Also, with 12-1/4" inner width it will fit eight 1-3/8" wide frames with enough room left over (1-1/4") to tightly fit, one more, a ninth 1-1/4" wide frame. This will work, though there is really not enough space left between the hive walls and the outer surfaces of the outermost frames for the bees to use those surfaces properly and it becomes difficult to pry out the first frame when you go to inspect. Though, I have found that squeezing the frames in this tightly can be done, it works better if at least three of the frames are of 1-1/4" width.

My experience is that those used for brood, work best with nine frames of 1-1/4" width or combinations of 1-3/8" and 1-1/4" wide frames that leave sufficient space on the ends for the bees to maneuver easily. Supers used for honey are more flexible, I've used nine, eight, seven, or even six frames spread out with various spacings and even staggered somewhat and find that the bees do fine, unless two or more empty foundationless frames are placed side-by-side, in these cases the bees will sometimes cross-connect them heavily. But remember, combs of honey, drawn out beyond the normal limits of the frames, must be trimmed down before they are placed into the brood nest, if such is the plan.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 06-06-2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Adding additional information
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

The outside measurements usually fall into one of two. Brushy Mt, Miller Bee Supply and others in the Southeast are 13 3/4". Mann Lake and Betterbee are 14". Wester Bee Supply will make them whatever you want.

Mine are all 13 3/4"

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightfr...m#cutdownboxes
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

thanks

Thanks for the input, I'll stick with the 13 3/4 outside.

MB: I had looked at the pics on cutting down boxes, BUT missed the one with the measurement on it.
    Last edited by rw3212; 06-08-2008 at 04:53 AM.
    ! ! ! 4 years and STILL a bee-ginner ! ! !