Thread: frame plans?

Default frame plans?

I have some free wood that would make good frames for my personal use. does anyone know of any jig plans?

not to discourage you if you have time. but frames are cheap you cant make them even with free wood as cheap has you can buy them. I would use the wood to build other items like SBB top covers or other equipment if possible.

You mean frame-cutting jig? No. Frame assembly jig? Yes

I walked through Walter T. Kelley's shop on a tour and was absolutely stunned at how much little waste there was. I guess that they have their wood cut to their specified demintions before it is shipped to them or something, because they start with a peice and, as parts are made from it, the cut-off material becomes more parts! So Riverrat is right, they have it down to a science for mass production. I used to work in a cabinet factory and know that such places have machines custom made for such jobs. We didn't use "jigs".

I have no interest in trying to recreate the compexity of store-bought frames, but I whip out some rudimentary frames from scrap wood. They aren't self-spacing, and the foundation is fastened with melted wax in an 1/8" curf. So I say go for it especially if you're looking to do cut comb frames.
    WayaCoyote

Do a search on "frames" or "frame construction", and I think you will find recent descriptions of techniques that some folks here are using to make their own frames. I don't recall jigs being used though. I'd like to give frame making a shot too, but not enough time to spare.

MM

well in the summer months I don't have time either. but in the winter I like things to do out in the shop (less nagging ) I use to work in a factory that built their cabs for mobile homes. where I work now, I get larg pallets that have some thin spruce boards. from one pallet I could get enough to do 50 deeps. I was just going to look around before I sat down and designed one for myself.

I just finished building a few hundred foundationless frames similar to style MB describes in this post:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...e+3%2F4+spacer

top bar is ripped to 45 on the table saw,

spaced using staples on (one side of the) top bar

all nailed and glued

Maybe worth it considering free materials (shipping crates w/ 3/4" wood), compared to me paying .66/ frame, I'm not sure that I'll do it again, but a good experience none the less.

I figure overall time making foundationless frame like this, like I want it is maybe less than time/ cost of assembling normal frame, wiring foundation or starter strip, etc. we shall see.

Ross has good pics of top bars ripped on his web site, I believe also frame assembly jig (I used one similar, but with 3/4" frames I can fit about 18 in the jig that normally holds 10...)