Thread: Mating Nucs?

Default Mating Nucs?

Recently I saw something where there were three or four small nucs in a single 10 frame hive body. I think it was called a mating nuc where each section had room for a few frames.

Does anyone know where I can get plans for this type of setup? Also curious what you need to do to convert a hive body so that you can house more than one group of bees in there.

My thought is to make something to raise queens from the cells I find in my hives.

All ideas are appreciated.

thx

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/TwoByFourMatingNucs.JPG
    http://www.bushfarms.com/images/TwoByFourNuc2.jpg

I just divide up a ten frame box. If I were doing it again I'd use eight frame boxes (lighter) and 1/4" luan for dividers (thinner) and make three sections. I notched the dividers into the walls and used 1/4" luan for the bottoms. The "inner covers" are canvas and keep them from spilling over.

A little spare room in the two frame nucs would help. With the 3/4" dividers two frames is a bit crowed when you try to get a queen cell in. Room for 2 1/2 frames wouldn't hurt.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Mike, it looks like you are using holes drilled into the super for entrances and ventillation. That is where I was running into trouble - I was thinking of a traditional bottom board with and entrance reducer that was notched for the respective number of mating sections.

Good idea with the canvas top. I was also unsure how to confining there.

Thanks for the info!

>Mike, it looks like you are using holes drilled into the super for entrances

Yes.

>and ventillation.

No.

> That is where I was running into trouble - I was thinking of a traditional bottom board with and entrance reducer that was notched for the respective number of mating sections.

Mine are all mediums and I made them by cutting down deeps or by building them from scratch with one by eights, so the inside depth is 7 1/4" and it doesn't need a bottom board.

>Good idea with the canvas top. I was also unsure how to confining there.

It keeps them from spilling over on inspections.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF