Default First Harvest - 18.5%

Hi,

I started beekeeping last year and have loved it. I let the girls keep everything they collected last year, and both my hive came through the winter just fine. This year, I got my first little bit of honey. I only took what turned out to be 14 lbs, but for me thats plenty (for now).

Since this is my first time and I am a little paranoid, I got a refractometer. I'd hate to give some honey to friends and family and have it go bad on them. Anyway, I tested my honey and its 18.5% moisture. It seems that most people shoot for 18%, but I couldn't fine a hard number. Is 18.5% low enough, or do I need to find some way to try and drop the moisture?

Thanks for helping a paranoid newbie!

Kawayanan

Default Just fine.

I recall the magic number is 18.6
    You're fine!
    Bottle it and let your friends enjoy.

You should be absolutely fine. Just keep it sealed so that it cannot absorb more moisture. I've had honey a little above 18.5 and never had a problem. In fact 18.6 can still qualify as Grade A honey. What percentage of cells were capped? Not that it really matters, just curious. I always use the refractometer before I extract make sure the honey is ready. I sample the frames with open cells, which would be most likely to have the highest moisture content.

Relax and enjoy!

Thanks everyone for the quick response! You've calmed the paranoid newbie. Its nice to know 18.6% the grade A standard.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    ...What percentage of cells were capped? Not that it really matters, just curious. ...
    This came from a top-bar hive. I ended up harvesting only 2 bars. I would say that one side of each comb was 100% capped while the other was 80-90%. One of the bars I especially wanted to harvest because the bees had curved it and attached it to two bars. I wanted to get it out before things got harder to handle.

It almost seemed like the bees had me figured out ... "If we only cap one side fully, he won't harvest it" ... They seemed to make a sport of only fully capping one side of the comb and leaving the other unfinished before moving to the next comb.

Anyway, on a side note - I was happily surprised with the refractometer I got. I went with a low cost one I found on ebay, but it seems very well made (all metal construction, ATC, came with a case and calibration oil). I'm a biochemist by day, so I plan on taking it in and checking it with a range of solution at work. I'm curious to see how accurate it is.

Kawayanan

Big Grin Got to have some fun here

18.5% tar Heel honey no doubt will be good. But it will never be has good has 18% Jayhawk honey.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    18.5% tar Heel honey no doubt will be good. But it will never be has good has 18% Jayhawk honey.
    Word around the camp fire is. 18.5% Texas Tech Honey is the best.

Nah, the best is that 18.5 Hog Honey!!

It is SOOOOOOOIEET
    Lawrence Underwood / Mobile, Alabama http://mollysueshoney.blogspot.com

No way! 18.4% Buckeye Honey is the BEST!!!!!!
    life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you are gonna get

Oh, but you haven't yet tried the 18.3% Boilermaker honey (I don't like the Hoosiers, plus Purdue has a decent Honey Bee research program).

Quote Originally Posted by mlewis48 View Post
    No way! 18.4% Buckeye Honey is the BEST!!!!!!

I wounder how good LSU 18.346% Honey is.

Just kidding. Don't get mad at me.

Come on now there is no better then Virginia Tech Hokie honey!

Quote Originally Posted by hankdog1 View Post
    Come on now there is no better then Virginia Tech Hokie honey!
    Awe you no thats a bunch of Hokie. I said it once I will say it again. Jayhawk honey cant be beat. Especially after we spoon fed it to Roys boys in the final 4 this year. He could have been the one feeding it had he not left for the Tar heels

Big Grin The best honey

Don't tell anybody but most of our honey here in Kentucky we keep for ourselves as it beats anyone elses... It comes out of an extrator that in its former life was a Bourbonbarrel.....We might sell a little, but that comes from the bung hole...anything further down in the barrel we siphon ourselves on a Sunday afternoon.....Take care and have fun!

Default Canadian Grade A

18.6% standard?

Wow up here in Canada our standard for grade A is 17.8% moisture or less... and I beg to differ: The best and I mean theeee BEST honey is Ottawa Valley wildflower.

Luc

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    Awe you no thats a bunch of Hokie. I said it once I will say it again. Jayhawk honey cant be beat. Especially after we spoon fed it to Roys boys in the final 4 this year. He could have been the one feeding it had he not left for the Tar heels
    We all know that's last year our crop is much better this year. Besides everybody knows Virginia is the presidential honey state. hehe Gotta claim something since ya'll are picking on me Hokies.