Sad Save the Tomatoes and Control the Aphids!

We need your advice! We have several hives at our home and also a home garden with about 30 tomato plants. The tomato plants are being ruined by aphids this year! My wife and I usually seek organic remedies and do not like to use pesticides because of our bees being nearby. Yet, none of the organic efforts have worked very well. All that said, does anyone know any "safe" pesticide that could be used to control the aphids that we might be able to use if we have to? Of course, we would want to stay away from powders and dusts that the bees might pick up and carry back to the hive. Perhaps there is some type of liquid spray that we could apply at dusk and would dry or ? Any recommendations?
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)

have you tried ladybugs?

What did you use already ? I had success with Stinging nettle and garlic but I guess you tried that ?

I also had success with hand-picking those aphids .... you can still do it on 30 plants. Ladybirds are also effective !
    Sig

Fred,
    I seem to remember some years back that I sprayed my plants that had aphids with some dish detergent dissolved in water...dries out the aphids, I think. Just a squirt of detergent in the spray bottle and fill with water...swish it around some to mix, then spray them. I'd do a google search to verify, but I think this might work.

I use 2 oz of orange oil per gallon of water and spray the whole plant. Also I would buy lady bugs and release them right at sundown.

I use Neem Oil for sucking insects like aphids in my organic orchard. It is very safe around honeybees, and other beneficial insects like ladybugs. OMRI listed. In fact, there are tests where they placed Neem oil in hives for the control of mites.

This is the time of year when I spray the trees, soon after petal drop, early morning on a calm day. I've had excellent results with Neem.

http://www.neemfoundation.org/

MM

I've used both a detergent solution and a 'tea' made with dried cayenne pepper. They both work very well.
    Lawrence Underwood / Mobile, Alabama http://mollysueshoney.blogspot.com

A little dishsoap in a spray bottle works like nobody's business. The believe the soapy water breaks the surface tension on thier exoskeleton. This allows the water to penetrate into how they breath and they drown. Those who don't drown lose fluids until they die. Nonetheless it works!

However, I've had this burn very new growth on tomatoes. I made the solution much weaker after this (basically just enough soap that it will foam when sprayed) and the problem is solved.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek1 View Post
    I use 2 oz of orange oil per gallon of water and spray the whole plant. Also I would buy lady bugs and release them right at sundown.
    Agreed...1-2 oz of citrus oil per gallon of water works very well. As a temporary solution you could simply blast them off the plants with water (assuming you won't damage the plants).

1) Order a praying mantis eggcase.

2) Attach it to the plant.

Problem solved.

our pest management professor highly recommended the diluted dish detergent method.

Dish soap and water. The aphids are removed "mechanically" by the high pressure spray from underneath the leaves. Good luck!
    Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
    "There's nothing wrong with me, it's the rest of the world that has a problem"

We really appreciate all the wonderful suggestions. We have tried washing them off by hand but have not tried the dish soap. So...we will give that a shot. We have a number of Lady Bugs, but apparently not enough to solve our problems. We will work on the plants again this evening...its almost dark here...but hope to get out there and spray the soapy water and see what happens.
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)

I use the dish soap thing too. I use Amway's L. O. C. or Shaklee's Basic H. About 1/2 tsp per qt. I add to it about 1/2 tsp. of Listerine. Works wonderfully.
    Laurence
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

Use M-PEDE (an organic insecticidal soap) @ 2% v/v. Works great in the orchard on Rosy Apple Aphids and Green Apple Aphids. It is also OMRI approved.

I use green lacewings and praying mantis from buglogical.com.

I see no one with stinging nettle and garlic here. I had quite success with those but you have to do it couple of times. Next year plant some garlic beside tomatoes !
    Sig

Whatever soap is next to the sink and water.

Where can you purchase ladybugs and citrus oil?
    The true measure of a man's happiness is if he smiles at himself in the mirror when he's all alone..."